Henry Brudenell-Bruce, 5th Marquess of Ailesbury
Henry Augustus Brudenell-Bruce, 5th Marquess of Ailesbury (11 April 1842 – 10 March 1911), styled Lord Henry Brudenell-Bruce from 1878 to 1894, was a British soldier, businessman and Conservative politician.
The Marquess of Ailesbury
|Member of the United Kingdom Parliament|
|Preceded by||Banister Fletcher|
|Succeeded by||The Baron Islington|
Henry Augustus Brudenell-Bruce
11 April 1842
|Died||10 March 1911(aged 68)|
Georgiana Sophia Maria Pinckney
(m. 1870; died 1902)
|Children||3, including George|
Ailesbury was the third son of Ernest Brudenell-Bruce, 3rd Marquess of Ailesbury, and his wife the Hon. Louisa Elizabeth, daughter of John Horsley-Beresford, 2nd Baron Decies. He was educated at Windlesham House School and Eton College.
He served in the British Army and achieved the rank of Captain in the 9th Regiment of Foot and Lieutenant-Colonel in the 3rd Battalion of the Duke of Edinburgh's Wiltshire Regiment. Between 1886 and 1892 he sat as Member of Parliament for Chippenham. He was also Chairman of Meux & Co, brewers. In 1894 he succeeded to the marquessate on the early death of his nephew and took his seat in the House of Lords.
Lord Ailesbury married, in 1870, Georgiana Sophia Maria Pinckney, daughter of George Henry Pinckney, of Tawstock, Devon. She died in London on 23 June 1902. They had three children, Lady Ernestine Mary Alma Georgiana (6 September 1871 – 18 May 1953), George William James Chandos Brudenell-Bruce, 6th Marquess of Ailesbury (21 May 1873 – 4 August 1961), and Lady Violet Louisa Marjory (1 March 1880 – 26 August 1923). Ailesbury remained a widower until his death in March 1911, aged 68. He was succeeded in the marquessate by his son George.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Malden, Henry C. (1902). Muster Roll. Windlesham House, Brighton. A.D. 1837 to 1902 (2nd ed.). Brighton: H. & C. Treacher.
- "Obituary". The Times (36803). London. 25 June 1902. p. 7.
- "Person Page #24447". The Peerage. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs
- Lundy, Darryl. "FAQ". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Chippenham
The Baron Islington
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Marquess of Ailesbury