Kurt Henrik Mikael Borgström (born 6 August 1997) is a Finnish professional ice hockey player, currently playing for the Springfield Thunderbirds in the American Hockey League (AHL) as a prospect to the Florida Panthers in the National Hockey League (NHL). He also played two seasons for the University of Denver in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC). Borgström was an all-American at Denver and led the Pioneers to the 2017 NCAA Championship. Borgström was selected 23rd overall in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft by the Panthers.
6 August 1997|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
|NHL team (P)|
Springfield Thunderbirds (AHL)
23rd overall, 2016|
Prior to his career at Denver, Borgström played in his native Finland within the junior program of the HIFK organization. Borgström committed to playing for the Denver Pioneers prior to the NHL Entry Draft. Ranked as a potential 3rd-round pick, Borgström ended up being selected 23rd overall in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft by the Florida Panthers, his second eligible NHL draft. At the end of the 2017–18 season, he was named a Hobey Baker Award finalist, and a First-Team West All-American. On 26 March 2018, Borgström signed an entry level contract with the Panthers. He made his NHL debut in an overtime loss to the Ottawa Senators on 29 March. Borgström's first NHL goal was the first of four Panthers goals in their last game of the season, a 4–2 win over the Boston Bruins, on 8 April 2018.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2016–17||University of Denver||NCHC||37||22||21||43||16||—||—||—||—||—|
|2017–18||University of Denver||NCHC||40||23||29||52||18||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honorsEdit
|AHCA West First-Team All-American||2016–17, 2017–18|||
|NCHC All-Tournament Team||2018|||
- "Panthers select Finnish center Henrik Borgstrom in first round". Sun-Sentinel. 24 June 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- @punanen5 (4 April 2016). "So excited to announce my commitment to University of Denver. Thanks to my family and friends for their support! @DU_Hockey #Pioneers" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Aleong, Joseph (25 June 2016). "The Biggest Surprises of the NHL Draft's First Round". thehockeywriters.com. Retrieved 26 May 2018.
- "Borgstrom, Donato, Gaudette named Hobey Baker finalists". NHL.com. 29 March 2018. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- "BORGSTRÖM, TERRY AND JAILLET NAMED 2018 CCM/AHCA ALL-AMERICANS". denverpioneers.com. 6 April 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Panthers sign Henrik Borgstrom to entry-level contract". sportsnet.ca. 26 March 2018. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- Olive, Jameson (31 March 2018). "Down to the wire: Panthers look to keep playoff hopes alive in Boston". NHL.com. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- Kalman, Matt (8 April 2018). "Bruins lose to Panthers, finish second in Atlantic". NHL.com. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "2016–2017 All-American Team". The American Hockey Coaches Association. Retrieved 21 June 2017.
- "Denver Wins 2018 Frozen Faceoff". NCHC. 17 March 2018. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or Eurohockey.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
| Florida Panthers first round draft pick
| NCHC Rookie of the Year
| NCHC Player of the Year
| NCHC Forward of the Year
|This biographical article relating to a Finnish ice hockey centre is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|