Henri I de Montmorency
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Henri I de Montmorency|
|Born||15 June 1534|
|Died||2 April 1614 (aged 79)|
|Noble family||House of Montmorency|
|Spouse(s)||Antoinette de La Marck|
Louise de Budos
Laurence de Montmorency
|Father||Anne de Montmorency|
|Mother||Madeleine of Savoy|
As Gouverneur, Damville came as the head of an army into Toulouse for nine months in 1570 and was chastized by the capitouls for letting Catholic property fall into the hands of a passing Protestant army without taking action. They accused him of being betraying the city and being in league with Protestants like his cousin Admiral Coligny. Damville responded by arresting four bourgeois and sending them to Paris with charges of slander. Damville also placed a procureur-général on the Parlement of Toulouse who was suspected of Protestantism. When Damville went into revolt in October 1574 (aligning with the Protestants of lower Languedoc) he was deprived of his office by the Parlement of Toulouse, and arrests were made of his associates charged with conspiracy against the king.
He became Duke of Montmorency on his brother's death in 1579.
As a leader of the party called the Politiques he took a prominent part in the French Wars of Religion. In 1593 he was made constable of France, but Henry IV showed some anxiety to keep him away from Languedoc, which he ruled like a sovereign prince.
With his first wife, Antoinette de La Marck (1542-1591), daughter of Robert IV de La Marck, he had two daughters:
- Charlotte de Montmorency (1571-1636), married in 1591 Charles de Valois, Duke of Angoulême and had issue;
- Marguerite de Montmorency (1577-1660), married in 1593 her cousin Anne de Lévis, Duke of Ventadour (died 1622); they were the paternal grandparents of Louis Charles de Lévis.
With his second wife, Louise de Budos (1575-1598), he had two children:
- Davies, Joan; Oxford University Press (September 2000). "The Secretariat of Henri I, Duc de Montmorency, 1563-1614". The English Historical Review. 115 (463): 812–842. doi:10.1093/ehr/115.463.812. JSTOR 580680.
- Joan Davies (March 1979). "Persecution and Protestantism: Toulouse, 1562-1575". The Historical Journal Vol. 22, No. 1. pp. 31–51.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Montmorency (family)". Encyclopædia Britannica. 18 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 787.
Henri I de MontmorencyBorn: 16 June 1534 Died: 2 April 1614
| Duc de Montmorency