Helton with Porto in 2013
|Full name||Helton da Silva Arruda|
|Date of birth||18 May 1978|
|Place of birth||São Gonçalo, Brazil|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2+1⁄2 in)|
|1995–1998||Vasco da Gama|
|1999–2002||Vasco da Gama||52||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15 November 2020|
After starting out at Vasco da Gama he went on to spend his professional career in Portugal, representing União de Leiria and Porto and winning 18 major titles for the latter club. Over 14 seasons, he appeared in 299 Primeira Liga games.
União de LeiriaEdit
In 2002, Helton's contract with Vasco expired and he signed with Portuguese club U.D. Leiria in January of the following year. He made his official debut on 9 March 2003 in a 3–1 home win against Académica de Coimbra for the Taça de Portugal, and backed up Paulo Costinha in his first season.
It seemed that Helton was destined to spend a long time bench-warming, as Porto legend Vítor Baía barred his way into the first team. However, he got his chance sooner than expected when Dutch coach Co Adriaanse summarily dropped Baía after a mistake against C.F. Estrela da Amadora cost the team a goal and a 1–2 away defeat, on 15 January 2006.
Helton continued to be an undisputed starter for Porto in the following years, as Porto won four consecutive league championships. In 2008–09's Portuguese Cup, however, he stayed on the bench as Nuno Espírito Santo was the starter for the eventual winners.
Helton was again first-choice in the following two seasons, appearing in a combined 49 league games as his team won six major titles. On 18 May 2011 he celebrated his 33rd birthday by keeping a clean sheet in the UEFA Europa League final, in a 1–0 win against fellow league side S.C. Braga; following the departure of Lucho González for Olympique de Marseille in summer 2009, he was also appointed team captain.
Helton played 30 league matches in the 2012–13 campaign, for his seventh league conquest. On 16 March 2014, however, the 35-year-old suffered an achilles tendon injury to his right leg during a 0–1 loss at Sporting CP, being sidelined for several months.
On 17 February 2014, Helton was condemned to pay a €60,000 fine for assaulting two stewards at the Estádio da Luz, following a tunnel brawl during the 0–1 away league loss against S.L. Benfica on 20 December 2009. After returning to action he played second-fiddle, to both Fabiano and Iker Casillas.
After terminating his contract on 12 October 2016 at the age of 38, Helton announced his retirement the following year, but returned shortly after to play as a forward for the veteran side of amateurs SC Canidelo. He started his coaching career in January 2018, being appointed at Portuguese third division club S.C. Freamunde.
Helton came out of retirement in October 2020, returning to União Leiria who now competed in the third tier.
After competing at the 1997 FIFA World Youth Championship, Helton was a member of the Brazilian team at the 2000 Summer Olympics. He appeared in all four matches, before the nation was eliminated in the quarter-finals by Cameroon.
Helton received his first callup to the full side in October 2006, starting in an unofficial exhibition game against Kuwait club Al Kuwait Kaifan on 7 October 2006. His official debut came on 15 November of the same year when he started in a friendly with Switzerland, and he was also featured against England in June 2007, in what was the first international to be played at the new Wembley Stadium.
|Vasco da Gama||1999||Série A||0||0||0||0||–||–||8||0||8||0|
|União Leiria||2002–03||Primeira Liga||9||0||3||0||–||–||–||–||12||0|
Vasco da Gama
- Campeonato Brasileiro Série A: 2000
- Campeonato Carioca: 1998
- Copa Mercosur: 2000
- Taça Guanabara: 2000
- Taça Rio: 2001
- Primeira Liga: 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13
- Taça de Portugal: 2005–06, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11
- Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- UEFA Europa League: 2010–11
- Primeira Liga Goalkeeper of the Year: 2010–11, 2012–13
- "Helton" (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. Retrieved 21 March 2020.
- Gouveia, Ricardo (17 January 2003). "U. Leiria: Vasco da Gama exige uma indemnização por Hélton" [U. Leiria: Vasco da Gama demand compensation for Hélton] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- Sinato, Alexandre (19 February 2007). "Em Portugal, Helton revive boa fase e sonha com Copa" [In Portugal, Helton relives good moment and dreams of Cup] (in Portuguese). Universo Online. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Taça de Portugal: Leiria elimina Académica" [Portuguese Cup: Leiria oust Académica]. Correio da Manhã (in Portuguese). 9 March 2003. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Lógica favorece regresso de Helton à titularidade" [Logic favours return of Helton to starting XI]. Diário de Notícias (in Portuguese). 20 October 2008. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- Figueiredo, João Tiago; Pires, Sérgio (19 October 2017). "José Sá por Casillas e mais cinco surpresas na baliza do FC Porto" [José Sá for Casillas and another five surprises in goal of FC Porto] (in Portuguese). TVI 24. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Helton em baía segura" [Helton on a safe bay]. Record (in Portuguese). 20 February 2006. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Baía e 10 mais" [Baía and 10 more]. Record (in Portuguese). 5 May 2006. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Adriaanse definiu prioridades: "Helton é o número um, Baía o dois"" [Adriaanse got priorities straight: "Helton is the number one, Baía the two"] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 27 July 2006. Retrieved 3 October 2017.
- "Helton: "Quem sou eu para dar conselhos ao Nuno?" (vídeo)" [Helton: «Who am I to give advice to Nuno?» (video)] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 31 May 2009. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- Atkin, John (18 May 2011). "Falcao heads Porto to Europa League glory". UEFA. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Helton: a braçadeira como prémio em troca da baliza inviolada" [Helton: armband the award as prize for no goals allowed] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. 24 August 2010. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Helton vai ser operado e pára vários meses" [Helton to undergo surgery and stop several months]. Record (in Portuguese). 17 March 2014. Retrieved 21 March 2020.
- "Futebolistas do FC Porto condenados no caso do túnel da Luz" [FC Porto footballers condemned in tunnel of Luz case]. Expresso (in Portuguese). 17 February 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Nunes, Luís Miguel (17 February 2014). "FC Porto: jogadores condenados no caso do "túnel da Luz"" [FC Porto: players condemned in the "tunnel of Luz" case] (in Portuguese). Relvado. Archived from the original on 15 September 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Túnel da Luz. Futebolistas condenados a indemnizar "stewards"" [Tunnel of Luz. Footballers condemned to compensate stewards]. i (in Portuguese). 17 February 2014. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Pombo, Diogo (6 July 2015). "Casillas no FC Porto. Vaya, será mesmo?" [Casillas in FC Porto. Vaya, is it for real?]. Observador (in Portuguese). Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Geraldo, Inês (12 October 2016). "Helton rescinde contrato com o FC Porto" [Helton terminates contract with FC Porto] (in Portuguese). Rádio e Televisão de Portugal. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- Malacó, Pedro (12 November 2017). "Helton virou avançado" [Helton turned forward]. Record (in Portuguese). Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- Maia, Vítor (12 January 2018). "Helton é o novo treinador do Freamunde" [Helton is the new manager of Freamunde] (in Portuguese). Mais Futebol. Retrieved 12 January 2018.
- "Goleiro Helton volta aos gramados em Portugal aos 42 anos" [Goalkeeper Helton returns to pitches in Portugal at the age of 42] (in Portuguese). One Football. 18 October 2020. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- "Helton foi convocado para a selecção do Brasil" [Helton was called for Brazil national team]. Público (in Portuguese). 21 September 2006. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Em ritmo de treino, Brasil goleia no Kuwait" [Like in a training, Brazil rout in Kuwait] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 7 October 2006. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- Valentini, Danilo (15 November 2006). "Brasil bate a Suíça e encerra ano legitimando renovação de Dunga" [Brazil beat Switzerland and close year empowering renewal of Dunga] (in Portuguese). Universo Online. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- McNulty, Phil (1 June 2007). "England 1–1 Brazil". BBC Sport. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "Dunga anunciação convocação para a Copa América" [Dunga Copa América squad announcement] (in Portuguese). Jornal da Mídia. 6 June 2007. Retrieved 11 August 2015.[permanent dead link]
- Miranda, Leandro (6 May 2015). "De Afonso a Menegazzo: onde estão os 22 de Dunga em 2007?" [From Afonso to Menegazzo: where are Dunga's 22 in 2007?] (in Portuguese). Terra. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Helton". Soccerway. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Helton Arruda". National Football Teams. Benjamin Strack-Zimmermann. Retrieved 19 June 2019.