|This is the pronunciation key for IPA transcriptions of Turkmen on Wikipedia.|
It provides a set of symbols to represent the pronunciation of Turkmen in Wikipedia articles, and example words that illustrate the sounds that correspond to them. Integrity must be maintained between the key and the transcriptions that link here; do not change any symbol or value without establishing consensus on the talk page first.
The charts below show the way in which the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) represents the Turkmen language pronunciations in Wikipedia articles. For a guide to adding IPA characters to Wikipedia articles, see Template:IPA and Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Pronunciation § Entering IPA characters.
- [k]~[q] and [ɡ]~[ɢ], [l]~[ɫ] only contrast in loan words before back vowels; in native words, [k, ɡ, l] occur before the front vowels (/ɛ/, /i/, /œ/, /ʏ/), while [q, ɢ, ɫ] occur before the back vowels (/ɑ/, /o/, /ʊ/, /ɯ/).
- [ɡ] becomes [ɣ] word-finally, intervocalically, and after obstruents and taps.
- [h] occurs before front vowels (/ɛ/, /ɪ/, /œ/, /æ/, and /ʏ/) while [x] occurs before back vowels (/ɑ/, /o/, /ʊ/, /ɯ/).
- In Schöning, Claus (1998). "Turkmen". In Johanson, Lars; Csató, Éva Á. (eds.). The Turkic Languages. London: Routledge. p. 262. ISBN 0-415-08200-5.
- Only found in Russian loanwords. In Schöning, Claus (1998). "Turkmen". In Johanson, Lars; Csató, Éva Á. (eds.). The Turkic Languages. London: Routledge. p. 261. ISBN 0-415-08200-5.