|• Total||7.47 km2 (2.88 sq mi)|
|Elevation||794 m (2,605 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2016)|
|• Density||560/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Eggersriet (SG), Grub, Lutzenberg, Oberegg (AI), Rehetobel, Reute, Thal (SG), Wald, Wolfhalden|
|Twin towns||Bezau (Austria)|
Heiden is first mentioned in 1461 as guot genant Haiden.
Around 1650 Wolfhalden and Heiden could not agree about the control over the church. This led to the creation of a church in each village in 1652, making them independent.
Heiden has an area, as of 2006[update], of 7.5 km2 (2.9 sq mi). Of this area, 52.4% is used for agricultural purposes, while 30.6% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 16.8% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.3%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality is located in the former District of Vorderland on the Kurzenberg. It consists of the village of Heiden and several hamlets near the village.
Heiden has a population (as of 2013[update]) of 4,052, of which about 18.3% are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -4.2%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (88.7%), with Croatian being second most common ( 5.9%) and Italian being third ( 1.1%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 48.5% male and 51.5% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Heiden is; 311 people or 7.7% of the population are between 0–6 years old. 512 people or 12.6% are 6-15, and 219 people or 5.4% are 16-19. Of the adult population, 168 people or 4.1% of the population are between 20–24 years old. 1,179 people or 29.0% are 25-44, and 966 people or 23.8% are 45-64. The senior population distribution is 491 people or 12.1% of the population are between 65–79 years old, and 217 people or 5.3% are over 80.
Heiden has an unemployment rate of 1.61%. As of 2005[update], there were 93 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 37 businesses involved in this sector. 708 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 41 businesses in this sector. 1,428 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 189 businesses in this sector.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2017
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance (1995), p. 54.
- Heiden in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 15-Sep-2009
- Brief Statistics for the half-canton Archived 12 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
- Appenzell Outer Rhodes website Archived 2009-09-13 at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Heiden AR.|