Heatherton is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 km south-east of Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the City of Kingston. At the 2016 census, Heatherton had a population of 2,907.
|Population||2,907 (2016 census)|
|• Density||415/km2 (1,080/sq mi)|
|Area||7 km2 (2.7 sq mi)|
|Location||19 km (12 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Kingston|
The suburb has a low population for a metropolitan suburb. It is predominantly open space: market garden, golf courses (the Kingston Heath Golf Club and the Capital Golf Club) and a large park Karkarook Park).
As part of the Melbourne Sandbelt, the area has been subject to significant sand mining in the past, though many extraction sites have now passed to other uses. Heatherton Post Office opened on 6 May 1885, but closed in 1973.
The Kingston Centre, a major regional Aged Care and Rehabilitation facility, is located on Warrigal Road. The site was originally the Melbourne Benevolent Asylum (where construction began in 1909). A 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge tramway was constructed from the railway at Cheltenham to the building site. A large proportion of the grounds of the Kingston Centre were sold in the 1990s to the developer Mirvac, who built the 500 homes of the Heath estate between 2000 and 2006.
In the 2016 Census, there were 2,907 people in Heatherton. 56.8% of people were born in Australia. The next most common countries of birth were China 5.0% and England 3.5%. 63.3% of people spoke only English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Mandarin at 4.9%. The most common responses for religion were No Religion 31.7% and Catholic 23.2%.
The suburb has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Southern Football League. The Heatherton Football Club ("The Tunners") was formed in 1913 and currently play at the Heatherton Recreation Reserve on Ross Street.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Heatherton (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Sand Mining, City of Kingston Historical Website. Retrieved 7 August 2007
- Phoenix Auctions History, Post Office List, retrieved 31 March 2021
- The Melbourne Benevolent Asylum Comes to Cheltenham, City of Kingston Historical Website. Retrieved 7 August 2007
- The Cheltenham and Heatherton Tramway Fairlam, W.P. Australian Railway Historical Society Bulletin April 1968 pp86-90
- Full Point Footy, Southern Football League, archived from the original on 1 January 2009, retrieved 21 October 2008 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Heatherton Football Club History Archived 11 April 2009 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 16 February 2009
- Golf Select, Kingston Heath, retrieved 11 May 2009 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Golf Select, Capital, retrieved 11 May 2009 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)