Heatherdale railway station
Eastbound view from the station concourse in February 2017
|Location||Heatherdale Road, Ringwood|
|Distance||24.21 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Structure type||Below ground|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||7 September 1958|
|Closed||26 December 2016|
|Rebuilt||6 February 2017|
There are three separate car parking areas that serve Heatherdale station. One is just to the north of Platform 2 and is accessible from Heatherdale Road. A second car park is beside the railway line on the eastern side of Heatherdale Road, stretching towards EastLink and was redeveloped as part of its project. The Heatherdale Road entrance will no longer serve as an exit, but a new section has been added between the railway line and Maroondah Highway, and will provide the exit and a new entrance. A third parking area surrounds the power transmission pylons on Molan Street. A fourth car park, accessed from Newman Street, opened in June 2013, to replace the car parks being closed at Mitcham, as part of the Mitcham Road crossing removal works.
As part of the EastLink tollway project, Heatherdale was upgraded in 2007. The works were funded by ConnectEast. Upgrades included extra parking spaces, upgraded lighting and security measures, a new pedestrian crossing at Heatherdale Road and construction of new station buildings. The original station buildings were demolished and new shelters built. New lighting and signage was also installed along the platforms.
In mid-2015, the Level Crossing Removal Authority announced its intention to proceed with the removal of the Heatherdale Road level crossing, together with the rebuilding of the station. In September 2015, an alliance including Leighton Contractors, Aurecon and Hyder Consulting was formally awarded the contract. Work started in early 2016, with the level crossing removed by early February 2017. The rebuilt station opened on 6 February 2017.
Platforms & servicesEdit
- Lilydale line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
Ventura Bus Lines operates one route via Heatherdale station:
- Heatherdale Vicsig
- Mitcham Level Crossing Removals Archived 25 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine VicRoads
- "Heatherdale Road, Mitcham level crossing removal". Retrieved 12 September 2015.
- "Level Crossing Removal: Heatherdale Road, Mitcham". Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Ten level crossings removed since 2015". Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "Lilydale Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "Belgrave Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "901 Frankston - Melbourne Airport (SMARTBUS Service)". Public Transport Victoria.
- "742 Eastland - Chadstone via Vermont South & Glen Waverley & Oakleigh". Public Transport Victoria.