Heartless (2014 film)
Heartless is a 2014 Indian Hindi-language medical thriller film directed by Shekhar Suman. Shekhar Suman also stars in the film along with his son Adhyayan Suman. The film also features Ariana Ayam, Deepti Naval, Om Puri and Madan Jain amongst others. It released on 7 February 2014, to mixed reviews from critics. The film focuses on anaesthesia awareness, where a patient cannot move or communicate, but is aware to varying degrees of what is happening during surgical procedures. Several critics have noticed striking similarities between the film and the 2007 Hollywood medical thriller Awake, leading some to describe Heartless a copy of said film.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shekhar Suman|
|Produced by||Sajid Rizvi|
|Written by||Niranjan Iyengar|
|Screenplay by||Nina Arora|
|Story by||Shekhar Suman|
|Music by||Gaurav Dagaonkar|
|Edited by||Akshara Prabhakar|
|Distributed by||Windmill Entertainment|
|Box office||₹11.8 million|
A young business magnate Aditya Singh (Adhyayan Suman) is in love with Ria (Ariana Ayam). Aditya requires a heart transplant but refuses due to guilt of killing his father during a boat ride in his childhood. Dr. Sameer Saxena aka Sam (Shekhar Suman) is Aditya's heart surgeon and friend. Aditya asks Dr. Sameer to arrange his elopement with Ria. They marry privately without his mother's knowledge, then Aditya goes to the hospital for the operation. While Aditya's new wife and his mother, Gayatri Singh (Deepti Naval), await completion of his surgery, Aditya encounters anaesthesia awareness.
The surgical pain causes Aditya to have a clairvoyant experience exposing Dr. Sameer's plot to murder Aditya, also revealing that Ria worked at the hospital under Dr. Sameer and has conspired with him against Aditya. Ria's plan was to marry Aditya, and then poison the donor heart to cause its rejection, thus murdering Aditya to collect insurance money to pay off Dr. Sameer's debts. The scheme unravels and Gayatri, realising what has happened, sacrifices herself so that Aditya can live, having barely survived the surgery and attempt on his life. She commits suicide and her heart is switched for the poisoned one by Dr. Trehan (Om Puri). During a shared out-of-body experience, Gayatri reveals to Aditya that his father's death was not his fault but just an accident and that he should value his life for which both his parents has sacrificed. Dr. Sameer and his conspirators are being arrested and Aditya comes back to consciousness. Film closes with Aditya telling Ria that he knows the truth due to anaesthesia awareness and hands her over to police.
The theatrical trailer of Heartless was released on 14 November 2013. The audio of the film was released by Sachin Tendulkar at Reliance Digital Xpress, Prabhadevi on 19 December 2013.
The Soundtrack for the film was composed by Gaurav Dagaonkar with Pakistani band called Fuzon (Khurram Iqbal, Shallum Asher Xavier, Imran Momina) for Ishq Khuda. The lyrics are by Arafat Mehmood, Seema Saini, Shekhar Suman & S.K. Khalish. The soundtrack was released on 7 January 2014. The song Main Dhoondhne Ko Zamaane Mein and "soniye" became popular. Sukanya sang a duet with Mohit Chauhan in the film.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Gaurav Dagaonkar chronology|
|1.||"Mashooqana"||Arafat Mehmood||Ash King, Arunima Bhattacharya||4:24|
|2.||"Main Dhoondne Ko Zamaane Mein"||Arafat Mehmood||Arijit Singh||4:23|
|4.||"Ishq Khuda"||S.K. Khalish||Khurram Iqbal||5:02|
|5.||"What A Feeling"||Shekhar Suman||Mohit Chauhan & Sukanya Ghosh||4:00|
|6.||"Heartless"||Seema Saini||Mohit Chauhan, Aniruddh Bhola & Suzanne D'Mello||4:27|
|7.||"Thanks Brother"||Seema Saini||Shekhar Suman & Adhyayan Suman||3:10|
|8.||"Mashooqana" (Sanjoy Deb Remix)||Arafat Mehmood||Ash King, Arunima Bhattacharya & Sanjoy Deb||3:29|
|9.||"Main Dhoondne Ko Zamaane Mein" (Reprise)||Arafat Mehmood||Arijit Singh||4:14|
The first half "routine" but that after the intermission, "the film becomes a thrilling roller-coaster ride with terrific punches." Paloma Sharma of Rediff.com gave it 1 out of 5 stars telling viewers to "stop trying to make sense of the script because there isn't any." Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama gave it 2.5 stars and praised performance of Adhyayan Suman. Faheem Ruhani of India Today gave it 2 stars, stating that " Suman wastes far too much time making his son look super cool in song and dance sequences."
The neutrality of this section is disputed. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Heartless was a box office flop. The film looked promising with a different concept story but it did not get much appreciation which might be attributed to the poor marketing.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result||Ref.|
|7th Mirchi Music Awards||Upcoming Male Vocalist of The Year||Khurram Iqbal - "Ishq Khuda"||Nominated|||
- "Heartless by Windmill Entertainment Pvt Ltd". qlypr.in. Archived from the original on 24 February 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Review: Heartless doesn't have soul – Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Shekhar Suman makes his film directorial debut". Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "Heartless - Movie - Report". Box Office India. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Shekhar Suman turns director with 'Heartless'". The Indian Express. 9 November 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Mehul S Thakkar, Mumbai Mirror (21 December 2013). "Shekhar Suman's 'Heartless' trailer sabotage? – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "A look at the movies releasing on Friday". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Heartless – Times of India". The Times of India. 17 November 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "'Heartless' team to celebrate 'Heartless Day' – Times of India". The Times of India. 20 December 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Heartless: Adhyayan Suman wins hearts – Times Of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "From the heart". The Indian Express. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Big stars don't always guarantee BO hits: Adhyayan Suman – Times Of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Stay Miles Away from this Film International Business Times. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Heartless Official Theatrical Trailer | Financial Times. Adhyayan Suman, Ariana Ayam". Koimoi.com. 14 November 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Sachin Tendulkar at the music launch of Heartless in Mumbai". The Times of India. 20 December 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Syndicate, India (19 December 2013). "Shekhar Suman, Sachin Tendulkar – Sachin Tendulkar launches 'Heartless' music album". MSN. Archived from the original on 20 December 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Sachin Tendulkar rubs shoulders with Bollywood stars". Emirates 24/7. 20 December 2013. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Shekhar Suman's 'Heartless' song goes viral – Times of India". The Times of India. 2 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Sukanya sings duet with Mohit Chauhan for Shekhar Suman's Heartless – Times of India". The Times of India. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Heartless – Times of India". The Times of India. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Heartless Music Review". Koimoi.com. 15 January 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Heartless movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". The Times of India. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- Paloma Sharma (7 February 2014). "Review: Heartless doesn't have soul". Rediff.com. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Heartless (2014) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama. 28 June 2012. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Movie review: Heartless : Bollywood, News". India Today. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Awards 2014". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 15 April 2018.