Harvey Brown (philosopher)
Harvey R. Brown, FBA (born April 4, 1950 in the United Kingdom) is a philosopher of physics. He is emeritus professor of philosophy at the University of Oxford and a Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford, as well as a Fellow of the British Academy.
|Born||4 April 1950|
|Philosophy of physics|
From 1978 to 1984, he was assistant professor at the University of São Paulo. In 1984 he became university lecturer in philosophy of physics at the University of Oxford, where he was promoted to reader in philosophy in 1996 and professor of philosophy of physics in 2006.
- 1984. Albert Einstein. A simple man of vision, in Portuguese, Brasiliense, São Paulo.
- 1988. H.R. Brown and H.R. Harré (eds.). Philosophical Foundations of Quantum Field Theory, Oxford: Clarendon Press. Reprinted in paperback, 1990.
- 1991. S. Saunders and H.R. Brown (eds.). The Philosophy of Vacuum. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 1996. 'Mindful of quantum possibilities'. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 47: 189-200.
- 1997. 'On the role of special relativity in general relativity'. International Studies in the Philosophy of Science, 11: 67-81.
- 1999. 'Aspects of objectivity in quantum mechanics'. In, J. Butterfield and C. Pagonis (eds.), From Physics to Philosophy. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 45-70.
- 2001. 'The origins of length contraction: I the FitzGerald-Lorentz deformation hypothesis'. American Journal of Physics, 69: 1044-1054. 
- 2003. With P Holland. 'The non-relativistic limit of the Maxwell and Dirac equations: The role of Galilean and gauge invariance', Studies in History and Philosophy of Modern Physics 34: 161-187.
- 2005. Physical Relativity. Space-time structure from a dynamical perspective. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Harvey Brown (philosopher)|