Harry C. Triandis
Harry Charalambos Triandis (1926 – 1 June 2019) was Professor Emeritus at the Department of Psychology of the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign. He was considered a pioneer of cross-cultural psychology and his research focused on the cognitive aspects of attitudes, norms, roles and values in different cultures.
Education and careerEdit
Triandis was born in Patras, Greece on 16 October 1926. During the Second World War, he learned four foreign languages and developed his curiosity about the differences that exist between cultures. His time getting to know people across various European nations inspired him to research cultural disparities in the way people think. At age twenty, he moved to Canada where he graduated as an engineer at McGill University in 1951. Three years later, he obtained a Master's degree in Commerce from the University of Toronto. During this time, he was exposed to the work of psychology and pursued further education in this field. In 1958, he completed his doctoral education in Social Psychology at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. He is currently Professor Emeritus at the Psychology Department of the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign. Triandis's early contributions to the field of cross-cultural psychology involved the development of several culture-sensitive measurements. He was president of several academic societies such as the International Association of Cross-Cultural Psychology (1976), the Interamerican Society of Psychology (1987-1989), the Association of Applied Psychology (1990-1994), and Division 8 and 9 of the American Psychological Association in 1977 and 1976, respectively. Triandis was well-known for his extensive research on individualism and collectivism. He died in Carlsbad, California on 1 June 2019, aged 92.
Awards and honorsEdit
- Career Contribution Award, Society of Personality and Social Psychology (2011)
- Lifetime Contributions Award, International Academy for Intercultural Research (2004)
- Award for Outstanding International Psychologist, American Psychological Association (2002)
- James McKeen Cattell Fellow Award, American Psychological Society (1996)
- Award for Distinguished Contributions to International Psychology, American Psychological Association (1994)
- Award for Distinguished Lecturer of the Year, American Psychological Association (1994)
- Otto Klineberg Award, Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (1994)
- Centennial Citation, American Psychological Association (1992)
- Distinguished Fulbright Professor to India (1983)
- Honorary Fellow, International Association of Cross-Cultural Psychology (1982)
- Interamerican Psychology Award, Interamerican Society of Psychology (1981)
- Triandis, Harry S. 1995. Individualism And Collectivism (New Directions in Social Psychology). ISBN 978-0813318509
- Triandis, Harry S. 1994. Culture and Social Behavior. ISBN 978-0070651104
- Triandis, Harry S. 1977. Interpersonal Behavior. ISBN 978-0818501883
- Triandis, Harry S. 1976. Variations in Black and White Perceptions of the Social Environment. ISBN 978-0252005152
- Triandis, Harry S. 1972. Analysis of Subjective Culture: An Approach to Cross-cultural Social Psychology. ISBN 978-0471889052
- Triandis, Harry S. 1971. Attitude and Attitude Change. ISBN 978-0471888314
- "Harry Triandis". The News Gazette Obituaries. Retrieved 2019-06-10.
- Kawamura, Kristine Marin (2014). "Dr Kristine Marin Kawamura interviews Dr Triandis, PhD". Cross Cultural Management. 21. doi:10.1108/CCM-11-2013-0163.
- "Award for distinguished contributions to the international advancement of psychology: Harry C. Triandis". www.psycnet.apa.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Triandis, Harry (2008). A Cross-Cultural Life. International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology. ISBN 978-0-9845627-4-9. pp. 15
- "Harry C Triandis". www.psychology.illinois.edu. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Three cross-cultural studies of subjective culture". www.psycnet.apa.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "The analysis of subjective culture". www.psycnet.apa.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Social Psychology". www.cabdirect.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "In Honor Of". www.fabbs.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Harry Triandis". www.academictree.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Triandis, Harry C (2001). "Individualism‐Collectivism and Personality". Journal of Personality. 69 (6): 907–24. doi:10.1111/1467-6494.696169. PMID 11767823.
- "Career Contribution Award". www.spsp.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Previous Lifetime Awards". www.intercultural-academy.net. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Outstanding International Psychologist Awards". www.apa.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "1996 James McKeen Cattell Fellow Award". www.psychologicalscience.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Distinguished Scientist Lecture Program". www.apa.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Otto Klineberg Award". www.apa.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Center for Marking and Supply Chain Management". www.bm.ust.hk. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- "Honorary Fellows of IACCP". www.iaccp.org. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- Gallegos, Miguel (2013). "Sixty years of the Interamerican Society of Psychology (SIP)". International Journal of Psychology. 48 (6): 1313–20. doi:10.1080/00207594.2013.840965. PMID 24073669.