Harris Insights & Analytics
Harris Insights & Analytics, headquartered in Rochester, New York, is a market research firm, known for "The Harris Poll". Begun in 1963, The Harris Poll is one of the longest running surveys measuring public opinion in the U.S., with a history of advising leaders during times of change such as John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan.
|Headquarters||Rochester, New York|
|John Gerzema, Will Johnson, co-CEOs, Jonathan Gardner, COO, Amy Long CFO|
|Parent||The Stagwell Group|
Harris works in a wide range of industries, across countries and territories through North America, Europe, and Asia. The company has been a member of several research organizations, including the US National Council of Public Polls, the British Polling Council, the Council of American Survey Research Organizations, the US Council for Marketing and Opinion Research, and the UK Market Research Society.
In November 2013, Nielsen Holdings agreed to purchase Harris Interactive for $116.6 million. The purchase was completed on February 3, 2014. In January 2017, Harris was acquired by the Stagwell Group. The Harris Poll continues to run, and current releases by The Harris Poll can be found on its new website.
The Harris Poll was founded by Lou Harris in 1963 to conduct polling for political candidates. In 1960, Harris became the first presidential pollster, working for the campaign of John F. Kennedy, who was elected U.S. president that year. In 1970, Harris acquired Humphrey Taylor's firm, where Humphrey was the leading strategist and pollster for the conservative party and for Margaret Thatcher. In January 1992, Lou Harris retired from Louis Harris & Associates, which had by then been owned by a corporation for some time, and formed his own company, LH Associates.
Mergers, acquisitions, and sale of businessEdit
The Gordon S. Black Corporation was founded in 1975 as a New York corporation. It formed and became part of the Delaware corporation now known as Harris Interactive in 1997. During these years, the company's acquisitions have included:
- February 1996 – all of the stock of Louis Harris and Associates, Inc., headquartered in New York.
- February 2001 – the custom research division of Yankelovich Partners, Inc., headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut.
- August 2001 – all of the capital stock of Market Research Solutions Limited, a privately owned UK company headquartered in Oxford, England.
- September 2001 – all of the capital stock of M&A Create Limited, a privately owned company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
- November 2001 – all of the capital stock of Total Research Corporation, a Delaware corporation headquartered in Princeton, New Jersey.
- March 2004 – all of the capital stock of Novatris, S.A. ("Novatris"), a share corporation organized and existing under the laws of France.
- September 2004 – all of the capital stock of Wirthlin Worldwide, Inc. a privately held California corporation headquartered in Reston, Virginia.
- April 2007 – all of the capital stock of MediaTransfer AG Netresearch & Consulting, a privately held German stock corporation headquartered in Hamburg, Germany.
- August 2007 – all of the capital stock of Decima Research Inc. ("Decima"), a corporation incorporated in Ontario, Canada.
- August 2007 – all of the capital stock of Marketshare Limited, a company incorporated under the laws of Hong Kong, and Marketshare Pte Ltd, a company incorporated under the laws of Singapore.
- February 2014 – Harris Interactive joins Nielsen. Nielsen and its wholly owned subsidiary, Prime Acquisition Corp., completed tender offer to buy all outstanding shares of common stock of Harris Interactive, Inc. (NASDAQ:HPOL). Harris Interactive became a wholly owned subsidiary of Nielsen and its shares ceased to be traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market.
- June 2014 – ITWP Acquires Harris Interactive UK, Harris Interactive SAS in France, and Harris Interactive AG in Germany from Nielsen.
- January 2017 – The Stagwell Group acquires Harris.
|Gordon S. Black||1975 – January 2004|
|Robert E. Knapp||January 2004 – May 2005|
|Gregory T. Novak||May 2005 – October 2008|
|Kimberly Till||October 2008 – June 2011|
|Albert A. Angrisani||June 2011 – March 2012 (interim)|
March 2012 – February 2014 
- "The Harris Poll".
- Henry, David (December 19, 2016). "Louis Harris, Pollster Who Guided Kennedy to Victory, Dies at 95". Bloomberg. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- Feltner, Kerry (November 25, 2013). "Nielsen Holdings to acquire Harris Interactive for $116.6 million". Rochester Business Journal. Rochester, New York. Archived from the original on November 26, 2013. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- Harris Interactive, Inc. (2014-02-03), Form 8-K for HARRIS INTERACTIVE INC, Washington, D.C.: U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, File 000-27577, retrieved 2015-02-12
- Stein, Lindsay (January 23, 2017). "Stagwell Group Acquires Nielsen's Harris Brand and Poll". Advertising Age. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Home HarrisPoll - The Harris Poll". theharrispoll.com. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Henry, David (December 26, 2016). "Louis Harris, Pollster Who Guided Kennedy to Victory, Dies at 95". Bloomberg. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Executive Leadership Awards Judges". Wall Street Journal. April 2, 2004. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Home HarrisPoll - The Harris Poll". www.harrisinteractive.com. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- Zippern, Andrew. "Technology briefing: Research; Harris Buys Yankelovich Unit" in The New York Times, February 15, 2001.
- "Harris Interactive Inc - HPOL - Unscheduled Material Events". Retrieved 2004-03-26.
- "Harris Interactive Inc - HPOL - News". Retrieved 2007-01-22.
- "HARRIS INTERACTIVE JOINS NIELSEN". Nielson. February 3, 2014.
- "ITWP Acquires Harris Interactive Europe from Nielsen" (PDF). Harris Interactive. London, UK. July 2, 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 31, 2014.