|Founded||25 August 1991|
|Dissolved||1 December 2019|
|Merged into||Prosperity Party|
The party celebrated its tenth anniversary 25 August 2001, under the leadership of chairman Fuad Ibrahim. It held its seventh party congress 30 November-1 December 2008, which was attended by almost 500 members and other participants.
At the last legislative elections, 15 May 2005, the party elected Nuriya Abdurahim Semod to represent a district at the Council of People's Representatives for the Harari Region. In the August 2005 Regional assembly elections, the HNL won 18 of the 36 seats in the assembly of the Harari Region.
In December 2019, the party merged with the Afar National Democratic Party (ANDP), the Amhara Democratic Party (ADP), the Benishangul-Gumuz People's Democratic Unity Front (BGPDUF), the Ethiopian Somali People's Democratic Party (ESPDP), the Gambela People's Democratic Movement (GPDM), the Oromo Democratic Party (ODP) and the Southern Ethiopian People's Democratic Movement (SEPDM) to form the Prosperity Party.
- "Harari state registers tangible results in dev’t endeavors: HNL"[permanent dead link], Ethiopian News Agency 1 December 2008 (accessed 28 May 2009)
- "HNL Celebrates 10th Founding Anniversary", Walta Information Center, 26 August 2001 (accessed 29 May 2009)
- Ethiopian House of Peoples' Representatives Website Archived 2010-06-03 at the Wayback Machine
- African Elections Database
- Gedamu, Yohannes (13 December 2019). "The new political party of Ethiopia's Abiy holds much promise but faces significant hurdles". Quartz Africa. Quartz. Retrieved 15 December 2019.