Hardcore Justice (2012)
Hardcore Justice (2012) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA) promotion, which took place on August 12, 2012 at the Impact Wrestling Zone in Orlando, Florida. It was the eighth and final event under the Hardcore Justice chronology.
|Hardcore Justice (2012)|
Promotional poster featuring an x-ray in the background
|Promotion||Total Nonstop Action Wrestling|
|Date||August 12, 2012|
|Tagline(s)||"It's not always about winning - it's about surviving"|
|Hardcore Justice chronology|
|Other on-screen talent|
|Ring announcer||Jeremy Borash|
|Mark "Slick" Johnson|
Hardcore Justice featured eight professional wrestling matches that involved different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds and storylines. Wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in the scripted events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
The primary rivalry that was featured at Hardcore Justice centered on Bobby Roode and defending champion Austin Aries, competing over the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. At Destination X, Roode was dispossessed of the TNA World Championship in an upset that saw Aries win the title, ending Roode's record-breaking 256-day reign. On the following televised episode of Impact Wrestling, Roode, emotionally distraught in response to his loss, felt that Aries' victory at the PPV was nothing more than a "fluke" and approached TNA General Manager, Hulk Hogan, to get a rematch at Hardcore Justice. On the August 9 episode of Impact Wrestling, both Aries and Roode agreed during the scheduled contract signing that after the pay-per-view match, if Aries won, Roode would not receive another rematch and in case Aries lost, he would waive his rematch clause.
Another feud going into Hardcore Justice is between Kenny King and defending champion Zema Ion, competing over the TNA X Division Championship. At Destination X, Zema Ion won the TNA X Division Championship following a tournament which led to an Ultimate X match to determine a new champion. On the July 26 edition of Impact Wrestling, Austin Aries, in recurring backstage segments throughout the night, spoke with those who partook in the tournament, Kenny King, Sonjay Dutt, Dakota Darsow and Rashad Cameron on who should receive a shot at the X Division Championship based on their qualifications. Coming down to King and Dutt, Aries selected King as the best choice since Dutt (an X Division veteran) had been injured. That night, King faced Ion for the title; however, Roode interfered in the match, helping Ion to retain the X Division Championship. The following week, Aries and King teamed in a successful effort against Roode and Ion, with King (who got the pin on Ion) later earning himself a title rematch with Ion at Hardcore Justice.
During the event, the Bound For Glory Series tournament will be highlighted, featuring three different four-way matches. Each match will have its own hardcore stipulation (Ladder, Tables match, and Falls Count Anywhere respectively), and the winner of each match will get 20 points in the BFG Series standings. Those matches include A.J. Styles, Christopher Daniels, Samoa Joe, and Kurt Angle in a Ladder match, James Storm, Bully Ray, Jeff Hardy, and Robbie E in a Tables match, and D'Angelo Dinero, Magnus, Mr. Anderson, and Rob Van Dam in a Falls Count Anywhere match.
Another feud entering Hardcore Justice surrounds Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez battling Kid Kash and Gunner. Guerrero made his debut appearance on the July 26 edition of Impact, humbly proud to be a part of TNA and citing the Guerrero family as being champions in wrestling, something he'd also like to accomplish in the company. When Kid Kash interrupted and undermined the Guerrero family, a brawl ensued leaving Guerrero on his own until Hernandez evened out the playing field by aiding Guerrero against Kash and Gunner. The next week, Guerrero went on to defeat Kash in his debut match.
A Knockouts match scheduled for the event is Madison Rayne taking on defending champion Miss Tessmacher for the TNA Women's Knockout Championship. Several weeks prior, Madison Rayne conceded to secretly admiring a particular person within the company. On the July 5 edition of Impact Wrestling, it was revealed to be referee Earl Hebner when she kissed him after he officiated a match. Earl Hebner started favoring Madison, giving her and Gail Kim the win over Mickie James and Tara in a Tag Team match, despite James having actually won the match. On the August 2 edition of Impact, Hebner repeated his actions, allowing Rayne to beat Tara, James, and Kim in a four-way match for a shot at the Knockout Championship.
|1||Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez defeated Gunner and Kid Kash||Tag Team match||09:24|
|2||Rob Van Dam defeated Magnus and Mr. Anderson||Falls Count Anywhere match for 20 points in the Bound for Glory Series standings||09:14|
|3||Devon (c) defeated Kazarian||Singles match for the TNA Television Championship||08:33|
|4||Madison Rayne defeated Miss. Tessmacher (c)||Singles match for the TNA Women's Knockout Championship||05:56|
|5||Bully Ray defeated James Storm, Jeff Hardy and Robbie E||Tables match for 20 points in the Bound for Glory Series standings||13:45|
|6||Zema Ion (c) defeated Kenny King||Singles match for the TNA X Division Championship||11:06|
|7||A.J. Styles defeated Christopher Daniels, Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe||Ladder match for 20 points in the Bound for Glory Series standings||16:22|
|8||Austin Aries (c) defeated Bobby Roode||Last Chance match for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship||24:36|
- "Hardcore Justice 2012". Pro Wrestling History. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Anthem, Impact announce Global Wrestling Network launch". Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks, Inc. Discovery Communications. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Destination X Results: Austin Aries new World Champion, Zema Ion wins X Title". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. 2012-07-08. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- Caldwell, James (2012-07-08). "CALDWELL'S TNA DESTINATION X PPV RESULTS 7/8: Complete "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Roode vs. Aries, new X Division champion, Joe vs. Angle". PW Torch. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- Caldwell, James (2012-07-12). "CALDWELL'S TNA IMPACT RESULTS 7/12: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of live Impact - Aries's first show as champ, BFG Series matches". PW Torch. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- Csonka, Larry (2012-08-09). "411's TNA IMPACT Wrestling Report 8.09.12". 411Mania. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- Caldwell, James (2012-07-26). "CALDWELL'S TNA IMPACT RESULTS 7/26: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of live Impact - BFG Series matches, interim GM". PW Torch. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Csonka, Larry (2012-08-02). "411's TNA IMPACT Wrestling Report 8.02.12". 411 Mania. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- Harris, Jeffrey (2012-08-02). "TNA Hardcore Justice Bound For Glory Series Match Stipulations". 411 Mania. Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- Powell, Jason (2012-07-05). "7/5 Powell's TNA Impact Wrestling Live Coverage Review: Jeff Hardy vs. James Storm in a BFG Series match, Bound For Glory location announcement, Ultimate X tournament qualifiers, Knockouts tag match, final hype for Destination X". ProWresting.net. Retrieved 2012-07-05.