This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hansford Herndon Rowe Jr. (May 12, 1924 – September 5, 2017) was an American film, stage and television actor.
Early life and educationEdit
Rowe was a graduate of John Marshall High School. He served in the US Navy during World War II in the South Pacific on a minesweeper warship as a radio controller. He subsequently graduated with a degree in Theater Arts from University of Richmond.
His first television role was in the 1967 TV movie The Thanksgiving Visitor. In 1968, he had a non-speaking role as a judge in three episodes of the cult series Dark Shadows. In 1969, he played a judge on the long-running CBS daytime drama The Guiding Light.
Rowe played in the 1983 NBC miniseries V as Arthur Dupres, the stepfather of resistance leader Mike Donovan. He reprised his role in the 1984 sequel V: The Final Battle. Rowe made guest appearances on TV shows, including Love, Sidney, L.A. Law, The Greatest American Hero, Six Feet Under, Night Court and Will & Grace. He played President Harry S. Truman in Dark Skies.
In 1980, Rowe appeared on Broadway in Nuts, for which he was nominated for the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play.
Personal life and demiseEdit
Rowe was married and had two sons and another by marriage.
- Gordon's War (1973) - Dog Salesman
- Three Days of the Condor (1975) - Jennings
- Simon (1980) - Priest Babcock Beastly
- Missing (1982) - Senator
- Malibu (1983, TV Movie) - Dr. Ferraro
- V (1983, TV Mini-Series) - Arthur Dupres
- The Osterman Weekend (1983) - General Keever
- V: The Final Battle (1984, TV Mini-Series) - Arthur Dupres
- Dream West (1986, TV Mini-Series) - John Floyd
- Baby Boom (1987) - Sam Potts
- The First Power (1990) - Father Brian
- The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990) - Leon Bavardage
- Sandino (1991) - Ambassador Hanna
- Dante's Peak (1997) - Warren Cluster
- You Lucky Dog (1998, TV Movie) - Mr. Windsor
- Dry Cycle (2003) - Ed
- The Office (2007, TV Series) - Elbert Lapin
- The Perfect Family (2011) - Bishop Donnelly