Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt (born 12 August 1942 in Leerhafe, today part of Wittmund, East Frisia) is the Germany national football team doctor and current club doctor of Bayern Munich. He was a club doctor for the club between 1 April 1977 and 16 April 2015, and again since November 2017. He resigned after the medical staff was blamed after a 3–1 loss to Porto in a UEFA Champions League match, and rejoined after the reappointment of Jupp Heynckes as coach.
Many of the German doctor's treatments are controversial, including using injections of a substance called Hyalart, extracted from the crest of cockerels, which is claimed to help lubricate knee injuries and take away the pain. He has also injected Myo-Melcain, which is the painkiller Procaine in a honey solution, or Actovegin into patients' muscles.
Darren Gough and Alex Tudor, Essex cricketers, have benefited from the German doctor's pioneering treatments. On 6 May 2009 it was announced that he was helping Akpo Sodje recover from a longstanding hamstring problem
José María Olazábal, the 1994 US Masters golf champion was suffering from the crippling effects of rheumatoid arthritis when he visited Müller-Wohlfahrt but was able to win at Augusta again in 1999.
Rugby World Cup winner Will Greenwood is another who has benefited from the doctor's treatment after 8 months with a groin problem. Weeks later he was staking a claim to a recall to the England team.
Even international sportsmen as far away as Australia have sought treatment from Müller-Wohlfahrt – Australian rules footballers Ben Reid, Max Rooke and Mark Coughlan were treated for chronic soft tissue injuries. Likewise he has also treated professional cyclists including Stephen Roche.
In 2016 Usain Bolt devoted his 100 m sprint gold medal at the 2016 Olympics in Rio to Müller-Wohlfahrt, who was at the stadium, after having received treatments from him for a previous calf injury.
In 2019, he worked on Collingwood Magpie AFL Jordan De Goey in a bid to get his injured hamstring resolved in time to play in the AFL Grand Final if the team get through their penultimate match against the GWS Giants.
- Mensch, beweg dich!, Zabert Sandmann, ISBN 978-3-423-34093-9
- So schützen Sie Ihre Gesundheit, Zabert Sandmann, ISBN 3-932023-52-8
- So gewinnen Sie mehr Lebenskraft, Zabert Sandmann, ISBN 3-89883-037-3
- Verletzt, was tun?, with Hans-Jürgen Montag, ISBN 3-9806973-1-2
- Besser trainieren!, Zabert Sandmann, ISBN 978-3-89883-170-3
- "We deserved more, says Germany coach Loew". Reuters. 8 July 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- Warmbrunn, Benedikt (16 April 2015). "Ende eines Machtkampfs mit Guardiola". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Rooster booster could be the solution". guardian.co.uk. London. 1 March 2006. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- Naughton, Philippe; Costello, Miles (3 June 2006). "The most feared man in football". The Times. London. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Germany's Dr. Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt either a great healer or quack with hyperactive syringe". ESPN.com.
- "HANS-WILHELM MÜLLER-WOHLFAHRT MD". MW Orthopedic Centre. Archived from the original on 28 November 2010. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Spurs Call International Rescue". 4thegame.com. Archived from the original on 24 October 2008. Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- Wallace, Sam; Stewart, Rob (20 August 2004). "Newcastle open the way for Woodgate's £15.7m Real deal". telegraph.co.uk. London. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- Moore, Charles. "Injury curse hits Holmes". telegraph.co.uk. London. Archived from the original on 21 September 2005. Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- "Injury ends Greene campaign". bbc.co.uk. 20 February 2003. Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- Turnbull, Simon (11 August 2010). "Bolt calls halt to his disappointing season after back injury strikes". independent.co.uk. London. Retrieved 11 August 2010.
- "Owen shrugs off fitness fears". bbc.co.uk. 24 May 2000. Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- "Profile – Gerrard". liverpool.rivals.net. Archived from the original on 10 November 2006. Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- "Kewell Can't Help Out In Striker Crisis". liverpoolfc.tv. Archived from the original on 8 August 2014. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- Watson, Roland; Elliott, Francis; Coates, Sam. "Interview:Darren Gough". timesonline.co.uk. London. Retrieved 19 December 2006.[dead link]
- "Pacemen get German help". ecb.co.uk. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Hensby seeks Olazabal's help to defend title". scotsman.com. Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- Moore, Charles. "Case for Atherton's return to the fray". telegraph.co.uk. London. Archived from the original on 8 September 2004. Retrieved 19 December 2006.
- Boulton, Martin (18 May 2008). "Coughlan in Germany for radical injury treatment". The Age. Archived from the original on 1 December 2008. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- Neil Cameron (1 September 2009). "St Johnstone star Peter MacDonald gets goat blood injections to cure hamstring problem". dailyrecord.
- "U2 > News > Bono Discharged from Hospital". u2.com.
- "Usain Bolt widmet seine Gold Medaille Dr. Müller-Wohlfahrt". 15 August 2016. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "De Goey heads to Germany". collingwoodfc.com.au. 9 September 2019.