|• Municipal manager||Matti Mäkinen|
|• Total||687.75 km2 (265.54 sq mi)|
|• Land||571.86 km2 (220.80 sq mi)|
|• Water||115.89 km2 (44.75 sq mi)|
|• Rank||149th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||176th largest in Finland|
|• Density||8.2/km2 (21/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||14.5%|
|• 15 to 64||53.4%|
|• 65 or older||32.1%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||22%|
It is located in the Central Finland region. The municipality has a population of 4,687 (31 December 2021) and covers an area of 687.75 square kilometres (265.54 sq mi) of which 115.89 km2 (44.75 sq mi) is water. The population density is 8.2 inhabitants per square kilometre (21/sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Hankasalmi is the only authentic rural municipality in Jyväskylä, that offers its inhabitants and guests a wide range of opportunities in the housing, work and leisure sectors. Comprehensive services and good transport links by highway and rail ensure smooth handling.[peacock prose] Hankasalmi has several elementary schools, a high school, and a high school where you can take part in high-level navigation training.
- Aimo Minkkinen, longtime head of the Tampere Lenin Museum
- Antero Halonen, boxer
- Kaarlo Kartio, actor
- Kalevi Tarvainen, linguist and professor
- Kari Ihalainen, javelin thrower and track and field coach
- Lauri W. Pääkkönen, elementary school teacher and writer
- Matti A. Karjalainen, professor at the Helsinki University of Technology
- Matti Makkonen, politician
- Matti Rutanen, folk artist
- Mika Mölsä, crime journalist and fiction writer
- Niina Mäkinen, ice hockey player
- Onni Haini, journalist and writer
- Onni Pellinen, Olympic wrestler
- Paavo Rautkallio, politician
- Unto Poikolainen, Pesäpallo player
- Vilho Ylönen, cross-country skier and rifle shooter
Twin towns - sister citiesEdit
Hankasalmi is twinned with:
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M12*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 February 2022.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003–2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- "Hankasalmi". Järviwiki. Finland's Environmental Administration. 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- Unto K. Laine: Muistokirjoitus. Helsingin Sanomat, 29.6.2010, s. B5. Artikkelin verkkoversio Archived 2015-01-08 at archive.today.
- "Kansainvälinen toiminta". hankasalmi.fi (in Finnish). Hankasalmi. Retrieved 2019-12-08.
Media related to Hankasalmi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Hankasalmi – Official site