Handball at the 1980 Summer Olympics
Handball at the 1980 Summer Olympics was represented by 2 events - a men's and a women's team competitions. They were held in two venues: in the Sokolniki Sports Palace (central part of Moscow) and in the Dynamo Sports Palace at Khimki-Khovrino (north-eastern part of Moscow). The schedule began on July 20 and ended on July 30. 100,493 spectators watched 51 matches of handball events at venues, mentioned above.
|Host country||Soviet Union|
|Venue(s)||2 (in 1 host city)|
|Champions|| East Germany (men)|
Soviet Union (women)
|Runner-up|| Soviet Union (men)|
|Third place|| Romania (men)|
East Germany (women)
|Fourth place|| Hungary (men)|
Each qualified country was allowed to enter one team of 14 players and they all were eligible for participation. Four nations competed in both tournaments.
A total of 248(*) handball players (166 men and 82 women) from 14 nations (men from 12 nations - women from 6 nations) competed at the Moscow Games:
- Algeria (14) (men:14 women:0)
- Republic of the Congo (14) (men:0 women:14)
- Cuba (13) (men:13 women:0)
- Czechoslovakia (13) (men:0 women:13)
- Denmark (14) (men:14 women:0)
- East Germany (28) (men:14 women:14)
- Hungary (28) (men:14 women:14)
- Kuwait (14) (men:14 women:0)
- Poland (14) (men:14 women:0)
- Romania (14) (men:14 women:0)
- Soviet Union (27) (men:14 women:14)
- Spain (13) (men:13 women:0)
- Switzerland (14) (men:14 women:0)
- Yugoslavia (28) (men:14 women:14)
(*) NOTE: There are only players counted, which participated in one game at least.
|1||Soviet Union (URS)||1||1||0||2|
|2||East Germany (GDR)||1||0||1||2|
|Totals (4 nations)||2||2||2||6|
Remark:country names are not given in the form they were used in the official documents of the IOC in 1980.