Hand in Hand (Olympic theme song)
"Hand in Hand" (Korean: 손에 손 잡고; RR: Sone Son Japgo) is a song by South Korean band Koreana that was the official song of the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul. It was sung in both Korean and English. The song is produced by Italian singer, songwriter, DJ and record producer Giovanni Giorgio Moroder. Its English lyrics were written by Tom Whitlock, and its Korean lyrics were written by Kim Moon-hwan. The song topped music charts in 17 countries, including Sweden, West Germany, the Philippines, Spain, Switzerland, Austria, Japan and Hong Kong. The album Hand in Hand sold more than 12 million copies worldwide. The song was featured in an episode of Pingu called Ice Hockey, although it was only put in the original version. In 2013, Giovanni Giorgio Moroder said that the original singer of the demo recording which he presented to PolyGram was Joe Pizzulo, not Koreana. It has since been translated and covered several times.
|"Hand in Hand"|
|Single by Koreana|
|from the album Hand in Hand|
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||98|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||7|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||1|
|West Germany (Official German Charts)||1|
- Mandarin version of the song, called 心手相連 (xin shou xiang lian, hearts and hands join together), performed by Hong Kong singer Alan Tam.
- Cantonese version of the song, called 一呼百應 (Yat hu bat ying, many people respond to one call), performed by Hong Kong singers Timothy Wong and Pearl Lee.
- A Swedish version, called "Jul i vinterland" (Eng. Christmas in Winterland"), with lyrics by Keith Almgren, has been recorded by Wizex in 1988 on Christmas compilation albums and on single in 1991.
- On August 14, 2016, South Korean girl group I.O.I released a digital single and remake of the song.
- In Venezuela, the group Papel Carbón made a version of this song in Spanish.
- Park Moo-jong (July 14, 2010). "Seoul Olympics gave powerful impetus to great changes in South Korea". The Korea Times. Retrieved March 3, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Giorgio Moroder". www.redbullmusicacademy.com.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 170. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Austriancharts.at – Koreana – Hand In Hand" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- Danish Singles Chart 2 September 1988
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Koreana – Hand In Hand". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Koreana – Hand In Hand". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Koreana – Hand In Hand". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Koreana – Hand In Hand". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "(싱글) 손에 손잡고". MelOn (in Korean). Retrieved August 15, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)