Hampstead and Kilburn (UK Parliament constituency)
|Hampstead and Kilburn|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Hampstead and Kilburn in Greater London
|Electorate||78,552 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Tulip Siddiq (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Brent East, Brent South, Hampstead and Highgate|
|European Parliament constituency||London|
Hampstead and Kilburn is a constituency[n 1] created in 2010 and currently represented in the House of Commons by Tulip Siddiq of the Labour Party.[n 2] Glenda Jackson was the MP from 2010–2015, having served for the predecessor seat since 1992.
The constituency was created for the 2010 general election in which it was won by Labour's Glenda Jackson with a majority of 42 votes being the most marginal result in England; one smaller majority nationally was achieved, in Fermanagh and South Tyrone, Northern Ireland. Hampstead and Kilburn was in 2010 the closest three-way marginal seat as the third-placed candidate obtained 841 fewer votes than the winner, approximately 1% of the electorate. In January 2013, Glenda Jackson announced that she would not seek re-election, one of 37 of her party's MPs who did so in the 2015 general election.
The seat was won by Labour candidate Tulip Siddiq. The 2015 result made the seat the 10th narrowest result of the party's 232 seats (by majority percentage). Comparing the 2015 election to the 2010 election, the Liberal Democrat share of the vote fell by 25.6% which compared to a national negative swing for the party of 15.2%.
In 2017 Labour significantly increased its majority to 26.6%, winning nearly 60% of votes cast.
- Belsize, Fortune Green, Frognal and Fitzjohns, Hampstead Town, Kilburn (Camden), Swiss Cottage, West Hampstead in the London Borough of Camden
- Brondesbury Park, Kilburn (Brent), Queens Park in the London Borough of Brent
Due to the Boundary Commission's Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies,[n 3] the number of constituencies across the two boroughs fell from five to four. The seat of Hampstead and Kilburn is a new creation resulting from these changes.
- Former seats of each ward
Hampstead Town, Belsize, Swiss Cottage, Frognal and Fitzjohns, Fortune Green, West Hampstead, and Kilburn (Camden) were transferred from the former constituency of Hampstead and Highgate. Brondesbury Park, Kilburn (Brent) and part of Queens Park wards were transferred from the former constituency of Brent East. A small part of Queens Park ward was transferred from the former constituency of Brent South.
Members of ParliamentEdit
Elections in the 2010sEdit
|Liberal Democrat||Matt Sanders |
|Liberal Democrat||Kirsty Allan||4,100||7.0||+1.4|
|Independent||Rainbow George Weiss||61||0.1||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Maajid Nawaz||3,039||5.6||−25.6|
|Independent||The Eurovisionary Carroll (deceased)*||113||0.2||N/A|
|U Party||Robin Ellison||77||0.1||N/A|
- * Independent candidate The Eurovisionary Carroll died following the close of nominations for the 2015 general election. Under current rules, the election proceeded with his name on the ballot paper and would have been rerun had he won.
|Labour||Glenda Jackson *||17,332||32.8||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Edward Fordham||16,491||31.2||N/A|
|Tamsin Omond To The Commons||Tamsin Omond||123||0.2||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- * Served as MP for Hampstead and Highgate 1992–2010
- A borough constituency (for the purposes of election expenses and type of returning officer)
- As with all constituencies, the constituency elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first-past-the-post system of election at least every five years.
- Specifically using their preferred subregion of North London
- "Electorate Figures – Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- List of Labour MPs elected in 2015 by % majority UK Political.info. Retrieved 2017-01-29
- "Revised estimates of leave vote in Westminster constituencies". Retrieved 26 October 2016.
- Boundary Commission For England Archived 2009-11-02 at the UK Government Web Archive Map from Boundary Commission for England
- "BBC News – Election 2010 – Constituency – Hampstead & Kilburn". bbc.co.uk.
- "BBC News – Election 2015 – Hampstead & Kilburn Parliamentary Constituency". bbc.co.uk.
- "Hampstead & Kilburn parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "House Of Commons Library 2017 Election report" (PDF).
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- email@example.com. "Parliamentary Election 2015 Results". camden.gov.uk.
- "Ronnie Carroll: Former Eurovision singer and election candidate dies". BBC. 13 April 2015.
- "Standing as a party candidate" (PDF). The Electoral Commission.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.