Hampstead is a 2017 British drama film directed by Joel Hopkins and written by Robert Festinger. It is based on the life of Harry Hallowes who successfully claimed ownership of a half-acre plot of Hampstead Heath. The film stars Diane Keaton, Brendan Gleeson, James Norton, Lesley Manville, Jason Watkins, Hugh Skinner, and Simon Callow. The film was released on 23 June 2017, by Entertainment One Films.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joel Hopkins|
|Produced by||Robert Bernstein|
|Written by||Robert Festinger|
|Music by||Stephen Warbeck|
|Edited by||Robin Sales|
|Distributed by||Entertainment One Films|
|Box office||$6.22 million|
- Diane Keaton as Emily Walters
- Brendan Gleeson as Donald Horner
- James Norton as Philip
- Lesley Manville Fiona
- Jason Watkins as James Smythe
- Phil Davis as Fyfe
- Simon Callow as The Judge
- Alistair Petrie as Steve Crowley
- Peter Singh as Xavier
- Will Smith as Leon Rowlands
- Rosalind Ayres as Susan
- Brian Protheroe as Rory
- Alex Gaumond as Mark Kasdan
- Hugh Skinner as Erik
The story is based upon the real life events surrounding Harry Hallowes who first squatted on the site in 1987 after being evicted from his council flat in Highgate. Hallowes, who died aged 88 in 2016, battled for the legal rights to own the land on which he had built his shelter arguing that he had gained ownership by adverse possession. He was eventually awarded 7,000 square feet (650 m2) in title deeds.
On 20 October 2015 Diane Keaton and Brendan Gleeson joined the cast of the film. On 13 May 2016 Lesley Manville, James Norton, Jason Watkins and Simon Callow joined the cast of the film. Principal photography began on 22 May 2016.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 43% based on 60 reviews, with an average rating of 5.01/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "Hampstead plays matchmaker with a pair of talented veterans, but the sum of their efforts isn't enough to overcome a deeply mediocre story." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 53 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- Guy Lodge (14 June 2017). "'Hampstead' Review: An Odd Match For Diane Keaton and Brendan Gleeson". Variety. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Hampstead". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- "Hampstead". The Numbers - Financial Information. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Mystery of Hampstead Heath squatter whose home inspired Hollywood romcom". Guardian. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- Witherow, John, ed. (18 May 2018). "For sale: a hermit's corner of Hampstead". The Times (72538). p. 21. ISSN 0140-0460.
- Leo Barraclough (20 October 2015). "Diane Keaton, Brendan Gleeson to Star in Ecosse Films' 'Hampstead'". Variety. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- Leo Barraclough (13 May 2016). "Lesley Manville, James Norton, Jason Watkins, Simon Callow Join 'Hampstead'". Variety. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "'Hampstead' Trailer: Diane Keaton, Brendan Gleeson Find Love in Leafy (and Sunny) London". Hollywood Reporter. 3 March 2017. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Hampstead (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 11 May 2020.
- "Hampstead Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 11 May 2020.