Hamilton GO Centre
Hamilton GO Centre is a commuter rail station and bus terminal in downtown Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. As the terminal stop for evening rush-hour Lakeshore West line trains, it is a major hub for GO Transit bus and train services. The terminal is also served by intercity coach services, including Greyhound Canada and Coach Canada.
|Location||36 Hunter Street East|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Tracks||2 + 1 bypass|
|Bus operators|| GO Transit|
Hamilton Street Railway
|Parking||54 reserved parking spots|
|Bicycle facilities||45 secure indoor spaces (paid) |
98 covered outdoor spaces
44 exposed outdoor spaces 
|Station code||GO Transit: 00141|
|Previous names||TH&B Railway Station|
|Official name||GO Train Station/former Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway Station|
|Official name||Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway Station|
Hamilton GO Centre is a Streamline Moderne building designed by New York architects Fellheimer & Wagner. It was planned as a large complex, but was reduced in size to that of a 7-storey office block. It opened in 1933 as the head office and the Hamilton station of the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway (TH&B). Passenger service on the TH&B was discontinued on April 26, 1981, and the TH&B merged into the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1987, leaving the facility disused.
In the early 1990s, GO Transit provided service out of two facilities in Hamilton: trains were routed along the CN Grimsby subdivision to the Hamilton CNR Station 1.6 km to the north, and buses operated from an older bus station on the northern edge of Hamilton's Central Business District (CBD) at John Street North and Rebecca Street. In order to better connect GO Transit service to Hamilton's CBD, improve the interface with the Hamilton Street Railway, and consolidate train and bus services at a single site, renovations were undertaken to convert the TH&B station into the Hamilton GO Centre. The new facility, designed by Garwood-Jones & Hanham Architects, opened on April 30, 1996.
Hamilton Street RailwayEdit
On June 28, 2009, downtown bus routes were realigned and new bus platforms inside the GO Centre become the downtown terminus points for routes 1 King, 2 Barton and 3 Cannon. The seasonal route 51 University continued to stop inside the station's bus terminal. Many other Hamilton Street Railway (HSR) routes stop immediately adjacent to the Hamilton GO Centre, on Hunter, James, and John streets.
The GO station is served by GO's Lakeshore West line during peak hours; bus service to Aldershot Station in neighbouring Burlington is offered off-peak. It serves as the western terminus of GO bus routes 16, 18, 40, and 47. Via Rail trains do not serve Hamilton, but interchange with the GO line at Aldershot.
Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway MuseumEdit
A railway museum with an interpretation centre is located on the mezzanine level.
Bus platform assignmentsEdit
- 1–3: GO Bus 18, connector to GO Train (via Aldershot) to Union Station
- 3–5: GO Bus 16, Queen Elizabeth Way express to Toronto Union Station Bus Terminal
- 6–8: GO Bus 40, Hamilton/Richmond Hill Pearson Express to Richmond Hill Centre Terminal, via Burlington and Oakville Carpool Lots, Square One, Dixie Transitway Station, Renforth Transitway Station, Toronto Pearson International Airport and Highway 407 Bus Terminal
- 8–10: GO Bus 47, Highway 407 West to Highway 407 Bus Terminal via McMaster University, Burlington, Bronte and Oakville Carpool Lots, Erin Mills Transitway Station, Square One and Bramalea GO
- 11: Greyhound Canada - Toronto, London, Windsor, Buffalo Airport
- 12: Coach Canada - Niagara Falls
- 13: Coach Canada - Cambridge, Kitchener
- 14: Casino Coach - Fallsview Casino, Casino Niagara
- 15–16: Unloading and layover
- 17: Hamilton Street Railway - Route 3 Cannon and Route 51 University
- 18: Hamilton Street Railway - Route 1 King and Route 2 Barton
- "Parking a bicycle at Hamilton Centre station". Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Hamilton GO Centre". Historical Hamilton. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "The Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway Station". Forgotten Buffalo. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Garwood-Jones & Hanham •GO Transit Station Renovation". Archived from the original on 2009-11-03. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "Routes 1-18 Lakeshore West GO Bus Schedule" (PDF). GO Transit. January 5, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "Route 16 Hamilton/Toronto Express GO Bus Schedule" (PDF). GO Transit. January 5, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "Route 40 Hamilton/Richmond Hill GO Bus Schedule" (PDF). GO Transit. January 5, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "407 West GO Bus Schedule" (PDF). GO Transit. January 5, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "3 CANNON" (PDF). Bus Schedules. Hamilton Street Railway. September 3, 2017. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
Bus stop numbers: Hamilton GO Centre Platform 17
- "51 UNIVERSITY" (PDF). Bus Schedules. Hamilton Street Railway. September 4, 2016. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
Bus stop numbers: Hamilton Station Platform 17
- "1 KING" (PDF). Bus Schedules. Hamilton Street Railway. January 1, 2017. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
Bus stop numbers: Go Centre Platform 18
- "2 BARTON" (PDF). Bus Schedules. Hamilton Street Railway. September 3, 2017. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
Bus stop numbers: GO Centre Platform 18
Media related to Hamilton GO Centre at Wikimedia Commons