Hamdan bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan
Hamdan bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (Arabic: حمدان بن زايد بن سلطان آل نهيان) (born 1963) is an Emirati politician and royalty. He is the current ruler (emir)'s representative in the western region of Abu Dhabi or the mayor of the region.
Hamdan bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed
|Born||1963 (age 56–57)|
|Spouse(s)||Shamsa bint Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Nahyan|
|Deputy Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates|
Serving with Sultan bin Zayed Al Nahyan
|President||Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (1997–2004)|
Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan (2004–09)
|Prime Minister||Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum (1997–2006)|
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (2006–09)
|Preceded by||Sultan bin Zayed Al Nahyan|
|Succeeded by||Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan|
Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan
|Minister of State for Foreign Affairs of the United Arab Emirates|
|President||Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (1990–2004)|
Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan (2004–06)
|Prime Minister||Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Preceded by||Rashid Abdullah|
|Succeeded by||Mohammed Hussein Al Shaali|
|Al Nahyan family|
HH Sheikha Shamsa
HH Sheikha Amna
Early life and educationEdit
Sheikh Hamdan was born in Al Ain in 1963. He is the 4th son of the founder of United Arab Emirates, the late president Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, who also served as the emir of Abu Dhabi. His mother is Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak Al Ketbi and he has five full-brothers: Crown Prince Mohammed, Hazza, Tahnoun, Mansour, and Abdullah. They are known as Bani Fatima or sons of Fatima. In addition, he is the younger paternal half-brother of the current emir and UAE president Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
Along with his half-brother Sheikh Sultan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, they served as deputy prime minister of the UAE in the cabinet led by the prime minister Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who is the emir of Dubai.
Banning of child camel jockeysEdit
During 2002, he announced the ban of employing children as camel jockeys.
- United Arab Emirates
- Abu Dhabi
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hamdan bin Zayed is married to Sheikha Shamsa bint Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Nahyan. They have six sons: Sultan (is married and has two sons: Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan bin Hamdan Al Nahyan (born 23 December 2011 in Abu Dhabi and Sheikh Hamdan bin Sultan bin Hamdan Al Nahyan, who is currently studying for a bachelor's degree in Business Management at Coventry University (London Campus), Mohammed, Zayed ((born 4 April 1990 in Abu Dhabi) graduated from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in London in 2009), Yas, Hazza and Rashid.
His father-in-law, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Nahyan, was a distant cousin of the founder of UAE, the first president, late H.H. Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, who was also the emir of Abu Dhabi emirate. Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Nahyan was born in the 1930s in Al Ain – from 1977 to 1990 he was in office as the 3rd Deputy Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and died in the 1990s in a German hospital.
- First Class Medal of the Order of Abu Bakar Siddiq of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (2001).
- Gold Medal of the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (2003).
- Hilal-e-Pakistan (March 2008).
- Germany - Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (14 December 2008).
|Ancestors of Hamdan bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan|
- "As Ruler's Representative in the Western Region" (PDF). Almojtama (22): 4. July 2009. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "UAE Succession Update: The Post-Zayed Scenario". Wikileaks. 28 September 2004. Archived from the original on 3 June 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Abu Dhabi's family business". Financial Times. 5 May 2009. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "UAE enforces stringent steps to eradicate child jockeys". Khaleej Times. 24 May 2005. Retrieved 14 January 2010.
- "Aljazira Sports Club Official Site". Aljazira. 23 October 2007. Archived from the original on 2 March 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "The Board of Trustees". Abu Dhabi University. Archived from the original on 10 May 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Wester Region-About Us". Archived from the original on 12 September 2012.
In June 2009, President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, in his capacity as Ruler of Abu Dhabi, issued Emiri Decree No 6, appointing His Highness Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan as the Ruler’s Representative in the Western Region.
- "H.H. Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan – Sheikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Medical Sciences – HMA".