Hallett Wind Farm
- Brown Hill (Hallett 1): 95MW, completed June 2008
- Hallett Hill (Hallett 2): 71MW, completed May 2010
- North Brown Hill (Hallett 4): 132MW, completed May 2011
- Bluff Range (Hallett 5): 53MW, completed March 2012
|Hallett Wind Farms|
|Location||Hallett, South Australia, South Australia|
|Make and model||166x Suzlon S88,|
1x Suzlon S97
|Nameplate capacity||351 MW|
The Mount Bryan wind farm which would have been Hallett 3 was never built. It received planning approval in 2009 but the project was cancelled and the permit was revoked in 2012 following appeals in the Environment, Resources and Development Court.
Brown Hill Wind Farm, also known as Hallett 1, consists of 45 Suzlon S88 turbines each of a rated 2.1 megawatt (MW) for a total of around 95 MW. It is in the Mid-North of South Australia adjacent to the Hallett Power Station, a pre-existing 180 MW gas fired peaking power plant operated by EnergyAustralia. The wind farm construction was carried out by Suzlon Energy Australia Pty. Ltd. This site utilises an innovative rock anchor solution to support the turbines using only one third of the concrete and reinforcement required in traditional foundations.
Hallett Hill Wind Farm, also known as Hallett 2 Wind Farm, was completed in late 2009. It consists of 34 Suzlon turbines each 2.1MW, giving an installed capacity of 71.4MW. Up to March 2011 it was averaging a capacity factor of 39%.
In December 2010, AGL identified that under certain wind conditions tones from the wind turbines were audible at the nearest residence. Resonance dampers have since been installed to address this tonality issue with the wind turbines. Noise testing has confirmed that this permanent acoustic treatment has fixed the tonality issue.
North Brown HillEdit
AGL's North Brown Hill Wind Farm, alternatively called Hallett 4 Wind Farm, has 63 turbines with a total installed capacity of 132MW, and cost A$334 million to build. The first power flowed into the south eastern Australian electricity grid in August 2010 and the project was up to full operation in early 2011.
AGL's Bluff Range Wind Farm, also known as Hallett 5 Wind Farm consists of 25 Suzlon turbines each of 2.1MW for a total of 52.5MW. Total project investment was $120 million. The project was completed in early 2012.
- "AGL to construct 132MW Hallett 4 wind farm in South Australia". AGL Energy. Archived from the original on 12 April 2009. Retrieved 7 April 2009.
- "AGL withdraws proposed Hallett 3 wind farm plan, ends community-led litigation". Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Wind developments". AGL Energy. Archived from the original on 7 June 2007. Retrieved 15 May 2007.
- "Tuned Mass Dampers". ESM Energie- und Schwingungstechnik Mitsch GmbH.
- "AGL fixes tonality issue at Hallett 2 wind farm". AGL Media Release. AGL Energy. 5 March 2012.
- David K. Clarke (16 June 2013). "North Brown Hill Wind Farm". Wind Farms and Wind Power in South Australia.
- "AGL to construct Hallett 5 wind farm to meet renewable energy supply contracts". Media Release. AGL Energy. 25 February 2010.
- "Hallet5". AGL website. AGL Energy. Archived from the original on 24 February 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.