Haji biryani (also known as Hajir biryani) is one of the oldest restaurants in the heart of Old Dhaka Bangladesh, selling chevon biryani (dish made with highly seasoned rice and goat's meat). The restaurant also sells borhani (a salted mint drink made of yogurt) and soft drinks. In 1939 the restaurant was started as a roadside food corner by a person named Haji Mohammad Hossain. Later on the business took dramatic change and became part of the culture of Dhaka city.
|Owner(s)||Haji Mohammad Shahed|
|Previous owner(s)||Haji Mohammad Hossain, Haji Mohammad Golam Hossain|
|Food type||Chevon (goat's meat) biryani|
|Street address||70 Kazi Alauddin Road, Nazira Bazar, Old Dhaka, Bangladesh|
The business was started on 1939 by a cook named Haji Mohammad Hossain. After Haji Mohammad Hossain died in 1992, his son, Haji Mohammad Golam Hossain took over and continued the family business without making any changes in style and tradition. By the passage of time Haji Mohammad Golam became tired by running the family business and finally handed over the business to his son, Haji Mohammad Shahed.
The recipe includes highly seasoned rice, chevon, mustard oil, garlic, onion, black pepper, saffron, clove, cardamom, cinnamon, salt, lemon, dahi (yogurt), peanuts, cream, raisin and small amount of cheese (either cow or buffalo). The recipe has been handed over the founder of the restaurant to his next generation. Haji Mohammad Shahed claimed that, “I have never changed anything, not even the amount of salt”.
- Sakhawat, Adil (8 March 2013). "Haji Biriyani: The Scintillating Taste from Old Dhaka". Daily Sun. Archived from the original on May 18, 2015. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "The Flavour of Dhaka - by Md Shahnawaz Khan Chandan". www.facebook.com.
- "Haji Biriyani". Dhaka Foodies. Dhaka Foodies. Archived from the original on March 15, 2015. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Hajir Biriyani". Google. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- "Haji Biriyani". Dhaka Foodies. Dhaka Foodies. Retrieved 30 April 2015.
- Mydans, Seth (8 July 1987). "FOR A SECRET STEW RECIPE, TIME IS RUNNING OUT". New York Times. New York Times. Retrieved 30 April 2015.