Hacıbektaş, formerly Karahöyük, is a town and district of Nevşehir Province in the Central Anatolia region of Turkey. According to 2000 census, population of the district is 11,929 of which 5,169 live in the town of Hacıbektaş. Located in Cappadocia, the district covers an area of 697 km2 (269 sq mi), and the average elevation is 1,250 m (4,101 ft), with the highest point being Mt. Kırlangıç at 1,720 m (5,643 ft).
A panorama of Hacıbektaş
Location of Hacıbektaş within Nevşehir
Map of Hacıbektaş
|• Governor||Mustafa Eldivan|
|• Mayor||Ali Rıza Selmanpakoğlu (Independent)|
|• District||696.69 km2 (268.99 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,250 m (4,100 ft)|
|• District density||17/km2 (43/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Haji Bektash Veli, the founder of the Bektashi order, lived in the area in the 14th century and is commemorated by the town's current name and in an annual festival. His tomb known as the Hajibektash complex is located near the center of town in his former monastery, now a museum, and is a site of pilgrimage for Alevi and Bektashi from throughout Turkey and the world.
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Statistical Institute[permanent dead link]
- GeoHive. "Statistical information on Turkey's administrative units". Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- Statoids. "Statistical information on districts of Turkey". Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- Lund University. Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire.
- "Alevi figure Hacı Bektaş Veli commemorated in Nevşehir festival". Today's Zaman. Archived from the original on 2013-10-20.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc. "Geographical information on Hacıbektaş, Turkey". Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- Kenthaber.com. "General information on Hacıbektaş, Nevşehir" (in Turkish). Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- Hacibektas.com. "Geographical and economical structure of Hacıbektaş, Nevşehir" (in Turkish). Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- District governor's official website (in Turkish)
- District municipality's official website (in Turkish)
- Map of Hacıbektaş district[dead link]
- Administrative map of Hacıbektaş district Website
|This article about a Central Anatolia Region of Turkey location is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|