The Habar Yoonis (Somali: Habar Yoonis, Arabic: هبر يونس) (Full Name: Siciid Ismacil (Garxajis) Sheikh Ishaaq ibn Ahmed) is a major Somali clan and is a sub-division of the Garhajis subclan of the Isaaq clan family. Members of this clan are concentrated in the western and eastern portions Somaliland. Habar Yoonis is part of the 4 principal clans of the Isaaq clan. Two (Habar Yoonis and Eidagale) of the four principal Isaaq clans are part of the Garhajis confederation, the largest and most widespread of the Isaaq clan.
|Regions with significant populations|
|Somali and Arabic|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Habar Jeclo, Habar Awal and other Isaaq clans|
The Habar Yunis inhabit Togdheer, Sanaag, Maroodi Jeex and Sahil. Habar Yunis is the only Isaaq sub clan that inhabit 5 out of 6 regions of Somaliland. They also form a majority of Jarar in the Somali region of Ethiopia, exclusively inhabiting the Daror and Gashamo districts and have a large population in the Aware and Danot districts.
In Maroodi Jeex they have a very significant population. The Habar yonis inhabit 3 districts within Hargeisa city.
In the Hawd and the Reserved Area, the Habar Yunis, together with their Eidagale kinsmen, populate much of the major towns and trading cities, the most prominent and emerging of the latter being Gashamo.
Sa'id is the ancestor of the Habar Yunis . The Habar indicates a bah alliance or a uterine alliance. The Habar Yunis is a bah alliance of all the descendants of Arre Sa'id whos mother was of the Abbayonis clan.
Sultans of the Habr YunisEdit
|1||Ainasha Hersi (traditional chief)||1770s||1805|
|2||Sultan Sugulleh Ainasha (first sultan)||1805||1836|
|3||Sultan Diriyeh Sultan Sugulleh Ainasha||1836||1866|
|4||Sultan Hersi Aman Sultan Diriyeh||1866||1879|
|5||Sultan Nur Ahmed Aman Sultan Diriyeh||1881|||1907|
|6||Sultan Awad Sultan Diiriye||1884||1892|
|7||Sultan Dolal Sultan Nur||1907||1911|
|8||Sultan Nur Ismail Amaan||1896||1931|
|9||Sultan Xirsi Sultan Qani||1937||1954|
|10||Sultan Ise Sultan Xirsi||1955||1964.|
|11||Sultan Yusuf Sultan Xirsi.||1975||1984|
|12||Sultan Maxamed Sultan Xirsi Sultan Qani||1997||Current.|
- Abdirahman Ahmed Ali Tuur, first president of Somaliland and second vice-president.
- Amina Moghe Hersi, notable business tycoon of Kenya, Uganda and Africa at large.
- Abdirahman Mohamed Abdullahi, leader and founder of the Waddani party
- Ismail Haji Nour,Mayor of Erigavo and longest serving mayor in somaliland history.
- Hersi Aman, was one of the most powerful sultans and conquerer of the hawd regions
- Horn of Africa. Horn of Africa Journal. 1997.
- Waal, Alexander De (1993). "Violent deeds live on: landmines in Somalia and Somaliland, p. 63". |
- Lewis, I. M. (3 February 2017). I.M Lewis : peoples of the Horn of Afrcia. ISBN 9781315308173. |
- Mataan, Asad Cabdullahi (28 November 2012). "Qabaa'ilka Soomaalidu ma isbahaysi baa, mise waa dhalasho?". Caasimada Online. Retrieved 12 July 2021.