HMS Vittoria (1917)
HMS Vittoria was a British destroyer of the Admiralty V-class. She was converted to a minelayer, and was torpedoed by the Bolshevik submarine Pantera off the island of Seiskari in the Gulf of Finland on 31 August 1919.
|Namesake||Battle of Vitoria|
|Builder||Swan Hunter, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom|
|Launched||29 October 1917|
|Fate||Torpedoed in the Gulf of Finland, 31 August 1919|
|Class and type||Admiralty V-class destroyer|
|Displacement||1,272–1,339 long tons (1,292–1,360 t)|
|Length||300 ft (91.4 m) o/a, 312 ft (95.1 m) p/p|
|Beam||26 ft 9 in (8.2 m)|
|Draught||9 ft (2.7 m) (standard), 11 ft 2 in (3.4 m) (deep)|
|Installed power||27,000 shp (20,000 kW)|
|Speed||34 kn (39 mph; 63 km/h)|
|Range||3,500 nmi (4,000 mi; 6,500 km) at 15 kn (17 mph; 28 km/h), 900 nmi (1,000 mi; 1,700 km) at 32 kn (37 mph; 59 km/h)|
|Capacity||320–370 long tons (330–380 t) fuel oil|
|Armament||4 × QF 4 in Mk V (102mm L/45), 2 × QF 2-pdr Mk.II "pom-pom" (40 mm L/39) or; 1 × QF 12-pdr 20 cwt, 4 × 21 inch (533 mm) torpedo tubes (2x2)|
The sunken destroyer was given to the state of Finland on 12 December 1919 together with her sister ship Verulam; however, when salvaging began in 1925, it was found that both ships were broken in two and impossible to repair.
In November 2013, divers rediscovered the wreck of the sunken destroyer at a depth of 30 meters (98 feet).
- "Red Navy's first kill discovered in Gulf of Finland". Radio: The Voice of Russia. 8 November 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8.
- Cocker, Maurice. Destroyers of the Royal Navy, 1893–1981. Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-1075-7.
- Friedman, Norman (2009). British Destroyers From Earliest Days to the Second World War. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 978-1-59114-081-8.
- Gardiner, Robert & Gray, Randal, eds. (1985). Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships: 1906–1921. Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-85177-245-5.
- March, Edgar J. (1966). British Destroyers: A History of Development, 1892–1953; Drawn by Admiralty Permission From Official Records & Returns, Ships' Covers & Building Plans. London: Seeley Service. OCLC 164893555.
- Preston, Antony (1971). 'V & W' Class Destroyers 1917–1945. London: Macdonald. OCLC 464542895.
- Raven, Alan & Roberts, John (1979). 'V' and 'W' Class Destroyers. Man o'War. 2. London: Arms & Armour. ISBN 0-85368-233-X.
- Photograph of HMS Vittoria, circa 1918
- Затопленный российской подлодкой британский эсминец нашли на дне Финского залива (in Russian)