Henry William Newman Fane
Early life and familyEdit
A member of the Fane family, Henry William Newman Fane was born on 6 February 1897, the eldest son of Colonel William Vere Reeve Fane (later King-Fane) (1868–1943), JP, DL, of Fulbeck Hall in Lincolnshire, and his wife, Helen Beatrice (died 1962), daughter of Thomas Houldsworth Newman.
On 14 December 1946, Fane married Dorothy Mary (died 1986), daughter of Alexander Ogilvy Findlay, of Llantarmam in Monmouthshire; they had one daughter: Mary Helen (1947–2000), who married Michael Robin Fry, a graphic designer, and had issue.
Following schooling at Charterhouse and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich, Fane joined the British Army, being commissioned into the Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery in the Royal Regiment of Artillery as a Second Lieutenant on 22 April 1915. He served in World War I and was promoted to Lieutenant in September 1919, before retiring in January 1923 with that rank.[nb 1] In 1937, he was appointed a Justice of the Peace and elected onto Kesteven County Council; in 1951, he became a Deputy Lieutenant, and the following year was appointed High Sheriff of Lincolnshire and was elected by his fellow County Councillors to be an alderman. He was successively Vice-Chairman (1957–62) and Chairman (1962–67) of Kesteven County Council, before chairing the Lincolnshire Police Authority in 1968. He was a long-term Chairman of Sleaford Magistrates and a prominent member of the Divisional Conservative Association. Described by the Lincolnshire Echo as a "leading figure in Lincolnshire public and political life for many years", Fane was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire in 1974. He died on 23 May 1976, aged 79.
- When he reached the age limit of liability for recall in 1947, Fane was removed from the Reserve of Officers and granted the honorary rank of Captain.
- Mosley, Charles (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage, 107th ed., volume 2 (Wilmington, Delaware: Burke's Peerage & Gentry), p. 4138
- "No. 29137". The London Gazette (Supplement). 20 April 1915. p. 3923.
- "No. 31567". The London Gazette. 23 September 1919. p. 11885.
- "No. 32788". The London Gazette. 19 January 1923. p. 452.
- "No. 37994". The London Gazette (Supplement). 20 June 1947. p. 2852.
- "No. 39489". The London Gazette. 11 March 1952. p. 1399.
- "Death of Capt H. W. N. Fane", Lincolnshire Echo, 25 May 1976, p. 1
- "No. 46310". The London Gazette (Supplement). 7 June 1974. p. 6802.
- The Times (London), 1 June 1976, p. 14
| Vice-Chairman of Kesteven County Council
1957 – 1962
| Chairman of Kesteven County Council
1962 – 1967
J. H. Lewis