H. Vinoth is an Indian film director and writer who works in the Tamil cinema. He made his directorial debut with Sathuranga Vettai (2014). He went on to direct films, such as Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru (2017), Nerkonda Paarvai (2019), Valimai (2022), and Thunivu (2023).
|Born||5 September 1981|
|Occupation(s)||Film director, screenwriter|
|Years active||2014 – Present|
Film career Edit
Sathuranga Vettai, his directorial debut,produced by manobala in 2014, was very well received by both the critics and audience, alike. It was said to be a "con film". Vinoth stated that, "my film is about the pace at which we all want to make money in our lives. It is about the anger of the common man, who thinks money is the solution to all his problems. When there is an imbalance in nature, we experience tsunamis and earthquakes. Likewise, my story is about the imbalance in the social morals of a common man". Although it was a heist film, the director said that he had made the film "as funny as possible" and that it had been narrated , was signed on as director. The film subsequently began production in mid-October 2016.
In early 2016, Vinoth narrated a script to Karthi, who was very impressed and agreed to team up with him, after the release of Kaashmora and Kaatru Veliyidai. The film was titled as Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru and produced by S. R. Prakashbabu and S.R. Prabhu, under Dream Warrior Pictures. The story was based on true events from Operation Bawaria, which involved the nefarious activity of dacoits and its eventual containment by Tamil Nadu police. Karthi and Rakul Preet Singh played the lead roles in the film, while Abhimanyu Singh played the prime antagonist. Upon release, it received highly positive reviews. Karthi's performance was highly acclaimed, for which, he received the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor – South and was nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Tamil.
During the post-production of Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru, Vinoth narrated a story of a con-man, to Ajith. However, Ajith rejected it, citing he had done similar movies, and suggested him to remake Pink, in Tamil. Ajith mentioned that he liked his style of writing and wanted him as the director, particularly. Initially, Vinoth was reluctant on doing a remake, but on Ajith's request and repeated viewings of the original, he accepted to do it under Boney Kapoor's production house, Bayview Projects. Boney Kapoor, Ajith, and Vinoth entered into a two film deal, that started with Nerkonda Paarvai, and a big-budget action thriller, Valimai. Nerkonda Paarvai released on 8 August 2019 and received positive reviews from critics. Valimai released on 24 February 2022, to mixed reviewes and was a box office success. In 2023, his next directional film Thunivu was released, it was also a box office success with gross of over ₹200 crores.
|†||Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2017||Theeran Adhigaaram Ondru||Yes||Yes||Yes||Based on Operation Bawaria incident
Nominated - Filmfare Award for Best Director - Tamil
|2019||Nerkonda Paarvai||Yes||Yes||No||Remake of Pink|
|TBA||KH233 †||Yes||Yes||Yes||Title and release date yet to be revealed|
- "H Vinoth Interview: In Your Face". 17 July 2014.
- "#HBDDirHVinothByTHALAFans : எச் வினோத் பிறந்தநாளை தேசிய அளவில் டிரெண்டாக்கிய தல ரசிகர்கள்". Samayam Tamil. 4 September 2019.
- Raghavan, Nikhil (27 January 2014). "Shot Cuts: Double trouble". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- "Confidence & A Passion To Tell Stories, H Vinoth's Journey From Being An Electrician To A Director". 26 November 2017.
- IANS (9 July 2014). "Need to thank Nalan's mother for ;Sathuranga Vettai': Director". Business Standard India. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- "Trisha, Arvind Swami in Sathuranga Vettai 2". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- "IndiaGlitz — Arvind Swamy next new movie Sathuranga Vettai 2 produced by Manobala — Tamil Movie News". Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- "IndiaGlitz — Karthi to star in Sathuranga Vettai director HVinoth second film — Tamil Movie News". Retrieved 25 November 2016.
- "Karthi to work with Sathuranga Vettai".
- "Karthi's next titled Theeran Adhigaram Ondru". Deccan Chronicle. 22 December 2016. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Awards". IMDb. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Valimai box office: Ajith's film gets an excellent opening, earns 76 crore in India". The Times of India.
- "Ajith-starrer Valimai director H Vinoth says, 'youngsters failed to recognise film's message of peer pressure'". Hindustan Times. 2 March 2022. Retrieved 30 December 2022.
- "When is the Thunivu grand pre-release event happening? - Exciting details - Tamil News". IndiaGlitz.com. 24 December 2022. Retrieved 30 December 2022.
- "Whoa! Is this Kamal Haasan and H. Vinoth's masterplan for 'KH233'?". IndiaGlitz.com. 23 February 2022. Retrieved 23 April 2023.