Héctor Velázquez (baseball)
Héctor Velázquez Aguilar (born November 26, 1988) is a Mexican professional baseball pitcher for the Boston Red Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut during 2017. He both throws and bats right-handed, and is listed at 6 feet 0 inches (1.83 m) and 180 pounds (82 kg).
|Boston Red Sox – No. 76|
|Born: November 26, 1988|
Ciudad Obregón, Sonora, Mexico
|May 18, 2017, for the Boston Red Sox|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 10, 2019)
|Earned run average||3.94|
Velázquez has played in both the Mexican League (2010 through 2016) and the winter Mexican Pacific League (2010–11 through 2017–18). In those leagues, his overall record through the 2017–18 winter season is 70–51 with an ERA of 3.85 and a WHIP of 1.340, with 846 strikeouts and 386 walks in 1114 2⁄3 innings pitched.
Boston Red SoxEdit
In February 2017, the Boston Red Sox purchased Velázquez's contract from Mexican League team Piratas de Campeche. During the 2017 season, he appeared in 19 games for the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox, all as starting pitcher. He had an 8–4 record with 2.21 ERA and 1.000 WHIP in 102 innings pitched.
The Red Sox promoted Velázquez to the major leagues on May 18, 2017. He made his MLB debut that day, taking the loss against the Oakland Athletics after pitching five innings and giving up six runs on nine hits, while walking two and striking out four. He split time between Pawtucket and Boston through the end of the season. Overall, for the 2017 Boston Red Sox he appeared in eight games (three starts) and compiled a 3–1 record with 2.92 ERA, 1.135 WHIP, 19 strikeouts, and 7 walks in 24 2⁄3 innings pitched.
Velázquez won the final spot in the starting rotation of the 2018 Red Sox under rookie manager Alex Cora, exiting spring training on the 25-man roster. He made two starts in April (both wins) but otherwise served as a relief pitcher during April and May. On May 14, Velázquez was placed on the 10-day disabled list with a "low back strain." At the time, he had made ten appearances for the Red Sox (two starts) with a 5–0 record and 2.10 ERA in 25 2⁄3 innings pitched. He was sent on a rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket on May 19, and returned to the active roster on May 24. Overall for the 2018 season, Velázquez made 47 appearances (eight starts), pitching 85 innings with a record of 7–2 with a 3.18 ERA. He was not included on Boston's postseason roster.
Velázquez was included on Boston's Opening Day roster to start the 2019 season. On May 30, he was placed on the 10-day injured list with a low back strain. To that point in the season, Velázquez had a 1–3 record in 18 games (seven starts) with a 5.97 ERA. The team sent Velázquez on a rehabilitation assignment with the Lowell Spinners on June 15, and activated him on June 17. He returned to the injured list on June 19, again due to a low back sprain. He was activated from the injured list on June 29, optioned to Pawtucket on July 15, recalled to Boston on August 8, and returned to Pawtucket on August 11.
- Galanis, Sam (February 18, 2017). "Red Sox Purchase Contract Of RHP Hector Velazquez From Mexican League". NECN. Retrieved February 26, 2017.
- Abraham, Peter (May 16, 2017). "Hector Velazquez will start for Red Sox on Thursday". The Boston Globe. Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- "Oakland Athletics 8, Boston Red Sox 3". Retrosheet. May 18, 2017. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- Smith, Christopher (March 26, 2018). "Boston Red Sox starting rotation 2018: Hector Velazquez to start in Tampa Bay, Brian Johnson in Miami". masslive.com. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- Bowers, Rachel G. (May 14, 2018). "Steven Wright added to Red Sox roster; Hector Velazquez sent to DL". The Boston Globe. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. May 2018. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- Mastrodonato, Jason (October 2, 2018). "Four relievers vie for two spots in Red Sox ALDS bullpen". Boston Herald. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Cole, Mike (March 28, 2019). "Red Sox Opening Day Roster: Boston's 25-Player Group Officially Set". NESN. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- @RedSox (May 30, 2019). "Prior to tonight's game, the #RedSox placed RHP Hector Velázquez on the 10-day injured list with a low back strain" (Tweet). Retrieved May 30, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. June 2019. Retrieved June 19, 2019.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. July 2019. Retrieved August 9, 2019.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. August 2019. Retrieved August 11, 2019.
- "2018日米野球 MLBオールスターチーム コーチ・出場予定選手発表". 野球日本代表 侍ジャパン オフィシャルサイト (in Japanese). October 29, 2018. Retrieved December 5, 2018.