György Sárosi (left) with Giuseppe Corradi
|Full name||Sárosi György|
|Date of birth||5 August 1912|
|Place of birth||Budapest, Hungary|
|Date of death||20 June 1993(aged 80)|
|Place of death||Genoa, Italy|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Second Striker|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Sárosi was a complete footballer renowned for his versatility and technique among other things, and he played in several positions for Ferencváros TC and Hungary. Essentially a second striker, he could also operate in midfield or central defence, and he helped Ferencváros TC win five Hungarian league titles between 1932 and 1941. He is considered one of the greatest players of the pre-war era.
He scored a goal in the 1934 FIFA World Cup, but his finest hour came when he captained Hungary to the 1938 FIFA World Cup finals, where he scored five goals in the tournament, including one in the final to reduce Italy's lead to 3–2, although a Silvio Piola goal eventually finished off the Hungarians. He finished with the bronze ball for being the third-highest goalscorer of the tournament.
After his retirement he moved to Italy, where he managed a number of clubs, including Genoa C.F.C., Juventus F.C., A.S. Bari and A.S. Roma. He was also manager of FC Lugano. He died in 1993 aged 80.
|Competitions||Nemzeti Bajnokság I||Magyar Kupa||Mitropa Cup||Total|
|1930-31||Ferencváros||Nemzeti Bajnokság I||7||2||4||0||-||-||11||2|
- Ferencvárosi TC
- Hungarian National Championship: 1932, 1934, 1938, 1940, 1941
- Hungarian Cup: 1933, 1942, 1943, 1944
- Mitropa Cup: 1937
- FIFA World Cup Runners-up: 1938
- FIFA World Cup Bronze Ball: 1938
- FIFA World Cup Bronze Boot: 1938
- FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1938
- World Soccer: The 100 Greatest Footballers of All Time
- Nemzeti Bajnokság I top scorer: 1935–36 (37 goals), 1939–40 (23 goals), 1940–41 (29 goals)
- Nemzeti Bajnokság I unofficial top scorer: 1944 (13 goals)
- Mitropa Cup top scorer: 1935 (9 goals), 1937 (12 goals), 1940 (6 goals)
- Dr. Gerö Cup top scorer: 1933–35 (7 goals), 1936–38 (10 goals)
- The 100 Greatest Players of the 20th Century
- 6th in Hungarian League Top Goalscorers chart
- 62 Caps and 42 Goals for Hungary
- "György Sárosi All-Time Stats". arfts.com. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- "The versatile virtuoso of Hungary & FTC". FIFA. Retrieved 16 December 2015.