Gustav Frederik Holm
Gustav Frederik Holm
Gustav Holm in 1883
|Born||6 August 1849|
|Died||13 March 1940 (aged 90)|
|Service/||Royal Danish Navy|
|Years of service||1870–1919|
|Commands held||Arctic exploration|
Director of the Hydrographic Society
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog|
Prix de la Roquette of the Société de géographie
Gold medal of the Royal Danish Geographical Society
Honorary membership of the Greenlandic Society (Grønlandske Selskab)
|Relations||His daughter Naja Marie Heiberg Holm (1887–1918) married Arctic explorer Ejnar Mikkelsen|
He was made commander in the navy in 1899, was chief of the hydrographic bureau from 1899 to 1909, and became director of pilots in 1912. He became distinguished for his explorations, especially of the east coast of Greenland. In 1876, he participated in K. J. V. Steenstrup's geological expedition to the Julianehåb District. From 1883 to 1885 he led the Umiak Expedition with T. V. Garde, exploring the east coast of Christian IX Land, as far as 66° 8' N using umiak boats. The expedition encountered 11 Inuit communities, numbering 431 inhabitants, who were previously unknown to Europeans, and discovered five great ice fiords. For his explorations he received gold medals from the Société de géographie, Paris (1891), and the Danish Geographical Society (1895), and the Danish Order of Merit (1909). The results and observations of the expeditions were published in Den danske Konebaads-Expedition til Grønlands Østkyst 1883–85 (1889) and Om de geografiske Forhold i dansk Østgrønland (1889).
- Holm, G. F. (1883). Beskrivelse af ruiner i Julianehaabs Distrikt, der ere undersøgte i aaret 1880 [Description of some ruins in the Julianehaab District investigated in the year 1880]. Meddelelser om Grønland (in Danish). 3.
- Holm, G. (1924). Small Additions to the Vinland Problem. In Consequence of Professor H. P. Steensby's "Norsemen's Route from Greenland to Wineland". Meddelelser om Grønland. 59.
- Holm, G.; Garde, V. (1889). Beretning om Konebaads-Expeditionen til Grønlands Østkyst 1883-85 (Den Østgrønlandske Expedition udført i Aarene 1883–85 under ledelse af G. Holm, Del 1) [Report on the Uniak Expedition along the East coast of Greenland 1883–85 (The East Greenland Expedition conducted in the years 1883–85 under command of G. Holm, Part 1)]. Meddelelser om Grønland (in Danish). 9.
- Holm, G.; Garde, V. (1889). Om de geografiske Forhold i Dansk Østgrønland (Den Østgrønlandske Expedition udført i Aarene 1883–85 under ledelse af G. Holm, Del 2) [On the geography of Danish East Greenland (The East Greenland Expedition conducted in the years 1883–85 under command of G. Holm, Part 2)]. Meddelelser om Grønland (in Danish). 9.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Gilman, D. C.; Peck, H. T.; Colby, F. M., eds. (1905). "article name needed". New International Encyclopedia (1st ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
|This article about an explorer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|