Guram Kashia (Georgian: გურამ კაშია, translit.: guram k'ashia, pronounced [ɡurɑm kʼɑʃiɑ]; born 4 July 1987) is a Georgian footballer who plays as a centre-back for San Jose Earthquakes in Major League Soccer and captains the Georgian national team.
Kashia with Vitesse in 2012
|Date of birth||4 July 1987|
|Place of birth||Tbilisi, Soviet Union|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|San Jose Earthquakes|
|2018–||San Jose Earthquakes||22||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 5 November 2018|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 10 June 2019
Formed at Dinamo Tbilisi, he spent most of his career at Dutch Eredivisie club Vitesse, where he was captain. In eight years in the Netherlands, he played 292 official matches (24 goals) and won the KNVB Cup in 2017.
In 2010, Kashia moved to the Netherlands and signed for Vitesse. Kashia soon became a regular member of the starting line-up of the club and two seasons after joining, Kashia was elected as the captain of the club. During his career at Vitesse, he amassed a total of 292 matches.
Kashia led Vitesse to the domestic KNVB Cup in 2016–17, starting all but one of their six games and recording a goal and an assist. In his five starts, the club outscored their opponents 12–2, including a 2–0 victory over eventual league champions Feyenoord Rotterdam in the quarterfinals.
In October 2017, Kashia wore a rainbow-striped captain's armband for Vitesse against Heracles Almelo in support of LGBT rights, leading to a backlash in his own country. In August 2018, he became the inaugural recipient of UEFA's #EqualGame award for his act.
His name was also transliterated as Goeram Kasjia in Dutch.
San Jose EarthquakesEdit
|Dinamo Tbilisi||2006–07||Umaglesi Liga||11||2||11||2|
1 Includes European competition play-offs and Johan Cruyff Shield.
- Scores and results list Georgia's goal tally first.
|1.||12 October 2012||Helsinki Olympic Stadium, Helsinki, Finland||Finland||1–0||1–1||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|2.||1 June 2018||Silberstadt Arena Schwaz, Schwaz, Austria||Malta||1–0||1–0||Friendly|
- Dinamo Tbilisi
- Mendola, Nicholas (14 June 2018). "San Jose signs Miazga's running mate Kashia to fix defense". soccer.nbcsports.com. NBC Sports. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Guram Kashia - Dinamo is always in my heart". fcdinamo.ge. 1 February 2014. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Official: Vitesse Sign Nacer Barazite, Matej Delac, Marcus Pedersen, Guram Kashia & Laryea Kingston". Goal.com. 1 September 2010. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Guram Kashia was Named as the Best Player of August in Dutch Championship". worldsport.ge. 10 September 2015. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Guram Kashia: Georgia captain becomes first recipient of Uefa #EqualGame award". BBC Sport. 22 August 2018. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- "Vitesse vernedert Sparta na vertrek Fraser" (in Dutch). NOS. 14 April 2018. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- "Georgia - Montenegro (Report)". eu-football.info. 1 April 2009. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Best Georgian Footballer 2013 revealed". Georgian Journal. 27 December 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Finland-Georgia football match 1:1". Georgian Journal. 13 October 2012. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Guram Kashia » Club matches". worldfootball.net. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "G. Kashia". Soccerway. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Kashia, Guram". national-football-teams.com. National Football Teams. Retrieved 5 June 2018.