Gunther Rolf Kress MBE (03 March 1940 – 20 June 2019) was a British semiotician who was Chair of Semiotics and Education in the Department of Culture, Communication and Media within the Institute of Education of University College London, University of London. Kress was born in Austria and trained as a linguist in Australia.
Kress was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the 2012 Birthday Honours for services to scholarship. On 30 January 2015, Kress received an honorary doctorate from the Faculty of Educational Sciences at Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Kress, Gunther R. (1997). Before Writing: Rethinking the Paths to Literacy. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-13804-3.
- Kress, Gunther R. (2003). Literacy in the New Media Age. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-25356-X.
- Kress, Gunther R.; Van Leeuwen, Theo (2006). Reading Images: The Grammar of Visual Design. New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-31915-3.
- Skyer, Michael E. (21 April 2016). "Gunther Kress: Multimodality, Communication, and Education Introduction and Context". Academia.edu. p. 3. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "No. 60173". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 2012. p. 18.
- "New honorary doctor at Faculty of Educational Sciences - Uppsala University, Sweden". www.uu.se. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- Gunther Kress page at the Institute of Education
- Reading Images: Multimodality, Representation and New Media
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|