Richard Morales, Jr. (born July 18, 1979), better known by his stage name Gunplay, is an American hip hop recording artist from Carol City, Florida. He embarked on his career in hip hop, as a member of fellow Florida-based rapper Rick Ross's southern hip hop group, Triple C's. Triple C's released their debut album, Custom Cars & Cycles, in 2009. After signing to Ross's Maybach Music Group label, upon its inception in 2009, Gunplay would announce he secured a solo recording contract with Def Jam Recordings, in July 2012. He released several mixtapes, such as 601 & Snort. His debut studio album, titled Living Legend, was released on July 31, 2015.
|Birth name||Richard Morales, Jr.|
|Also known as||Don Logan|
July 18, 1979 |
El Paso, Texas, United States
|Origin||Carol City, Florida, United States|
|Labels||Def Jam, Maybach Music Group|
|Associated acts||Rick Ross, Triple C's|
He grew up in Carol City in South Florida with his Jamaican mother. He started using and selling cocaine at age 16 saying he used to spend $600–700 a week on drugs and thousands after his record deal.
1997–2009: Career beginnings with Triple C’sEdit
In 1997, he met with Carol City native Rick Ross and their passion for music led them to form the group Triple C's (Carol City Cartel) alongside rappers Torch and Young Breed. The group released their debut album Custom Cars & Cycles in 2009, which debuted at #44 on the U.S. Billboard 200.
2009–2014: Solo careerEdit
Gunplay made his solo debut by appearing on Rick Ross' track "Gunplay" on the his album Deeper Than Rap (2009). He released mixtapes under Maybach Music Group while appearing on featured tracks and making appearances on collaborative albums. In July 2012, he signed a solo deal with Def Jam and will be releasing his debut album Medellin, originally called Bogotá, under both labels. He announced he was working with producers from the south and he will be collaborating with producer Pharrell Williams. His mixtape, titled "601 & Snort," released on September 2012 and has been well praised by critics and was named the tenth best album of 2012 by Spin Magazine. One of his featured guest appearance songs, "Cartoon & Cereal" with Kendrick Lamar, was ranked in Complex's Best 50 Songs of 2012 list at #2.
Gunplay's mixtape Cops & Robbers was released on January 18, 2013. On May 7, 2013, he announced he had changed the title of his debut album from Medellín to Living Legend. The album was described as "raw" and a "real street album by Gunplay and it was claimed to be 75-80% done. He would go on to reveal Pharrell Williams will be producing a track titled "Steel Drums" for the album and Yo Gotti and Big Sean would also be featured on the album. He was also featured on Lil Wayne's I Am Not a Human Being II on the song "Beat The Shit".
2015–present: Living LegendEdit
On March 8, 2015, he announced via instagram his debut album will be released in July 2015. On May 19, 2015, he released the official Living Legend single, WuzHaninDoe featuring YG with production by DJ Mustard and with Def Jam backing it, making it an official album single. It was then revealed that his long-awaited debut album Living Legend would be released on July 31, 2015. He is also working on the release of Maybach Music Group's fourth collaborative album, Self Made 4.
TMZ reported  that on Wednesday, October 10, 2012, Gunplay turned himself in to Miami authorities after a warrant was issued for his arrest on charges of armed robbery. According to the rapper's attorney, Gunplay could have faced life in prison if convicted on both counts. On October 22, 2012, he was given a $150,000 bond and placed on house arrest in connection to the robbery which took place at a Miami tax business. He was released from house arrest during January 2013.
On February 25, 2013, Gunplay's trial began on the charges of armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and aggravated assault, stemming from when he allegedly pulled a gun on his accountant during April 2012. On the same day, it was announced that the case was dismissed because the victim, Turron Woodside, refused to further cooperate with authorities. Woodside refused to authenticate the footage of the incident and was "out of town" according to his family. Subsequently, the prosecution in the armed robbery case was forced to drop the charges against Gunplay.
Gunplay has a Swastika tattoo and has given differing explanations for it. In a 2012 interview with Pigeons & Planes, Gunplay said he deliberately uses the tattoo to conflate Nazi atrocities with his intentions to deal with "bullshit out here." He continued: "I came to Nazi that shit. I came to Hitler that motherfucker. Put all the fake motherfuckers in the gas chamber and gas your fuck ass. That’s what I’m here to do." Several months later, in a 2013 interview with Complex, he said, "Swastika was originally a sign of peace, happiness, and love. The Nazis turned it into the symbol of death. That’s the same way I feel society does to people. We start off as innocent babies and it turns us into monsters. If the shoe fits, wear it."
- Gunplay Signs Solo Record Deal With Def Jam | XXL. Xxlmag.com (2012-07-03). Retrieved on 2012-10-26.
- "The Breakfast Club". Power1051fm.com. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- Meet The Hard Rock 12: Gunplay « The Hard Rock 12. Hiphopweekly.com. Retrieved on 2012-10-26. Archived October 12, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Interview: Gunplay Talks Working With Pharrell, House Arrest, and How Much He Used to Spend on Drugs". Complex. 2013-01-05. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Gunplay. Facebook (2011-02-15). Retrieved on 2012-10-26.
- Free Gunplay Mixtapes @. Datpiff.com. Retrieved on 2012-10-26.
- Best Music 2012 (2012-12-11). "Gunplay - 601 & Snort (Self-Released) - SPIN's 40 Best Hip-Hop Albums of 2012 | SPIN | Year-End Lists | Best Albums". SPIN. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "2. Kendrick Lamar f/ Gunplay "Cartoon & Cereal" — The 50 Best Songs of 2012". Complex. 2012-12-11. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Horowitz, Steven J. (2013-01-18). "Gunplay "Cops N Robbers" Mixtape Download & Stream". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Gunplay Talks "Living Legend" Album, Being on Lil Wayne Album, Self Made 3, Def Jam & More". YouTube. 2013-05-07. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- Horowitz, Steven J. (2013-02-01). "Gunplay To Appear On Lil Wayne's "I Am Not A Human Being II," Taps Pharrell Williams & Big Sean For "Medellin"". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Maybach Music Group on Twitter: "Living Legend!". Twitter.com. 2015-06-15. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "ItsDonLogan on Twitter: "Been a long hard road to success but its finally here!! #LIVINGLEGEND RELEASE DATE JULY 31!!!". Twitter.com. 2015-06-15. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "Rick Ross Says 'Self Made 4' Coming Early 2015 - hiphopearly". News.hiphopearly.com. 2014-11-23. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "Maybach Music Group on Twitter". Twitter.com. 2014-12-04. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- Wilbert L. Cooper (November 26, 2012). "Gunplay Doesn't Fear the Pine Box or Prison". Vice. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Rapper Gunplay Turns Himself In to Jail on Robbery Charge. TMZ.com (2012-09-30). Retrieved on 2012-10-26.
- Gunplay PULLS GUN on Accountant ... CAUGHT ON TAPE. TMZ.com (2012-10-13). Retrieved on 2012-10-26.
- Kuperstein, Slava (2012-10-13). "Gunplay's Armed Robbery Caught On Tape, Rapper Could Face Life In Prison". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Morales, Richard. "Rapper Gunplay Gets $150,000 Bond, House Arrest, Attorney". NBC 6 Miami. Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- "Armed Robbery Charges Dropped Against Miami Rapper Gunplay". Miami.cbslocal.com. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Gunplay Says His Case Is Dismissed, Avoids Life Sentence From Armed Robbery Charges". Hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
-  Pigeonsandplanes.com (07-25-2012). Retrieved on 2016-01-27.
- Kuperstein, Slava (2012-10-03). "Additional Footage Released Of Gunplay & G-Unit Brawl". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-04-07.