Guadalupe Garcia McCall
Guadalupe Garcia McCall (born in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico) is a Hispanic poet, educator, and author of award-winning young adult novels. Her stories are set in Texas and Mexico, and explore the importance of family coupled with the hardships faced by young adults, including illness and death of a parent, young love thwarted by racism, and paternal abandonment. While the majority of her characters are Mexican-American, her stories address universal themes that appeal to young adults in general.
Guadalupe Garcia McCall was born in Coauhila, a Mexican state adjacent to Texas. She immigrated to the United States with her family when she was six years old, and grew up in Eagle Pass, a small border town in South Texas. When Garcia McCall was 17 years old, “she lost her mother to cancer and found solace in her writing and in her education".
She received a B.A. in Theatre and English from Sul Ross State University in Alpine and currently teaches high school English in Southwest High School located in San Antonio, Texas. Her first novel, Under the Mesquite, debuted in October 2011 and received the prestigious Pura Belpré Medal for narrative in 2012. She has written two more young adult novels in addition to many stories and poems that have been published in periodicals.
Under the Mesquite
2012 Pura Belpré Medal for narrative
2013 Tomás Rivera Book Award
2012 Americas Award, Consortium of Latin American Studies Program – Honorable Mention
2012 International Latino Book Award – Honorable Mention
Summer of the Mariposas
2013 Westchester Young Adult Fiction Award – Winner
2012 Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy Finalist
Under the Mesquite, Tu Books (New York) 2011.
Summer of Mariposas, Tu Books (New York) 2012.
Shame the Stars, Tu Books (New York) 2016.
- "Guadalupe Garcia McCall". Something About the Author. Gale. 251: 133–134.
- "Under the Mesquite". Tomás Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- SHAME THE STARS by Guadalupe Garcia McCall | Kirkus Reviews.
- "SUMMER OF THE MARIPOSAS | Guadalupe Garcia McCall". guadalupegarciamccall.com. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- "Guadalupe Garcia McCall | Directory of Writers | Poets & Writers". www.pw.org. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- "Charlotte Country Day". Charlotte Country Day. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- "Biography | Guadalupe Garcia McCall". guadalupegarciamccall.com. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- admin (1999-11-30). "The Pura Belpré Award winners, 1996-present". Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC). Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- "Tomás Rivera Book Award Winners". Tomás Rivera Mexican American Children’s Book Award. 2012-09-10. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- "Award Winners @ CLASP, Consortium of Latin American Studies Programs". www.claspprograms.org. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- Latino Literacy Now’s International Latino Book Awards. (n.d.). Retrieved October 18, 2016, from https://app.box.com/s/e02344f975f036c2faa5
- "Westchester Fiction Award". wfa.yolasite.com. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- Angela (2013-01-29). "Announcing the 2013 Amelia Bloomer Project". Amelia Bloomer Project. Retrieved 2016-10-18.