Grouping of electors (Spain)
According to the Spanish electoral law a grouping of electors (Spanish: agrupación de electores) is a group of citizens temporarily associated with the goal of presenting a candidature to a particular election. It is a format that a candidature can use to present to a given election. To present the candidature, a candidate must present a minimum number of signatures relative to the electoral census. Given its temporary nature, if the promoters wanted to use the grouping for another election, the latter must be re-constituted. Unlike political parties, party federations or electoral coalitions, a grouping of electors cannot profit from public electoral funding from a preceding candidature.
- Under 5,000 inhabitants, the number of signatures must be no less than the 1% of voters as long as the number of signataries is over the double of electable councillors.
- Between 5,001 and 10,000 inhabitants, at least 100 signatures
- Between 10,001 and 50,000 inhabitants, at least 500 signatures
- Between 50,001 and 150,000 inhabitants, at least 1,500 signatures
- Between 150,001 and 300,000 inhabitants, at least 3,000 signatures
- Between 300,001 and 1,000,000 inhabitants, at least 5,000 signatures
- In larger areas, at least 8,000 signatures
For a group of electors to compete in a given general election, they must present a minimum number of signatures, amounting to the 1% of the electors in the electoral district (which correspond to each province and Ceuta and Melilla).
For a group of electors to compete in a given election to the European Parliament, they must present a minimum of 15,000 signatures.
- León Alonso, Marta (2010). "Las agrupaciones de electores como forma de participación política en el sistema electoral español: garantías y límites del derecho de sufragio pasivo" (PDF). Letras jurídicas: revista de los investigadores del Instituto de Investigaciones Jurídicas U. V. Xalapa: Universidad Veracruzana (21): 139–166. ISSN 1665-1529.
- Sánchez Hidalgo, Emilio (2018-09-09). "Qué es una agrupación de electores, la fórmula de Carmena para volver a presentarse". El País. Verne.
- "Ley Orgánica 5/1985, de 19 de junio, del Régimen Electoral General (consolidated version)". Boletín Oficial del Estado. Retrieved 2018-09-10.