Greece national cricket team
The Greece national cricket team is the team that represents the country of Greece in international cricket. The side is organised by the Hellenic Cricket Federation, which became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 1995 and an associate member in 2017. Greece is often referred to as Hellas in cricket contexts.
|Association||Hellenic Cricket Federation|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Associate member with T20I status (2017)|
|First international|| Greece v. Spain |
(St Peter Port, Guernsey; 21 May 1990)
|As of 8 October 2015|
Greece made its international debut at the 1990 European Cricketer Cup in Guernsey, and has participated regularly in European Cricket Council tournaments since then. Cricket in the country is played mainly on the island of Corfu. This strong cricket tradition is due to the 50 years British rule of the Ionian islands at the time of the liberation of Greece from the Ottoman Empire. Efforts are currently underway to expand the game further outside Corfu.
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Greece and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I.
The Greek cricket team appeared in every edition of the ECC Trophy from 1999 to 2005, hosting and winning the tournament in 1999. This enabled them to play in Division Two of the European Championship in 2000, finishing in sixth place. They once again played in the tournament in 2006, but this time they met with controversy. After winning all three of their first round group games, they looked to be a favourite for the tournament, and promotion to Division One. However, it was revealed that they had fielded two ineligible players and their wins were cancelled. Then they opted not to travel to RAF Lossiemouth to play Israel in the eighth place play-off, despite being fully aware that this would forfeit that game, and relegate them.
European Cricket ChampionshipEdit
- 2000: 6th place (Division Two)
- 2006: Disqualified (Division Two)
- 2009: 1st place (Division Five)
- 2011: 6th place (Division Two) 
- 2012: 5th place (Division 2)
- 2014: 4th place (Division 3)
The last squad to participate in Division 3 is as follows:
- Anastasios Manousis( Captain)
- Spiros Bogdos
- Spiros Gasteratos
- Spiros Goustis
- Alexandros Grammenos
- Nasos Karakantas
- Andrew Koutsoufis
- Alex Lagos
- Christos Molinaris
- Othonas Nikitas
- Spiros Nikokavoura
- Alexandros Souvlakis
- Dimitris Triantafillidis
- Ioannis Vasilas
- Stylianos Goustis (Team Manager)
In 2012 the European T20 Championship was held in Corfu. Hellas were captained by former Hampshire wicket-keeper Nic Pothas.
- "Ireland and Afghanistan ICC newest full members amid wide-ranging governance reform". International Cricket Council. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Other matches played by Greece – CricketArchive. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.