Greatest Hits 1972–1978
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Greatest Hits 1972–1978 is a compilation album by the English rock band 10cc
|Greatest Hits 1972-1978|
|Greatest hits album by|
|Singles from Greatest Hits 1972-1978|
|Christgau's Record Guide||B+|
The album is the first compilation to include the band's recordings with UK Records and with Mercury. It was released in time for Christmas 1979 and was intended as a stop-gap between albums, whilst Eric Stewart recovered from his car accident. The album was a big success reaching No.5 in the UK charts. A single was released alongside, coupling their biggest hit "I'm Not in Love" with "For You And I" from the Bloody Tourists album. The single failed to chart.
The album was reissued as part of 2017 During After - The Best of 10cc and Beyond compilation album and Before During After - The Story of 10cc box set.
Reviewing in Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies (1981), Robert Christgau wrote: "Separating the jokes from the japes, eschewing atmospheric preciosity, and climaxing with two great pieces of lovesong schmaltz that define the group's seriousness, this is as consistent a 10cc LP as you can buy. But I miss oldies like 'Johnny, Don't Do It,' 'The Worst Band in the World,' 'Oh Effendi.' And I still don't believe 'Dreadlock Holiday' is 'Safe European Home' in corporate-rock drag."
- "Rubber Bullets" (Godley, Creme, Gouldman) - 4:43
- "Donna" (Godley, Creme) - 2:56
- "Silly Love" (Stewart, Creme) - 3:15
- "The Dean and I" (Godley, Creme) - 2:52
- "Life Is a Minestrone" (Creme, Stewart) - 4:27
- "The Wall Street Shuffle" (Stewart, Gouldman) - 3:52
- "Art for Art's Sake" (Stewart, Gouldman) - 4:21
- "I'm Mandy, Fly Me" (Stewart, Gouldman, Godley) - 5:21
- "Good Morning Judge" (Stewart, Gouldman) - 2:54
- "The Things We Do for Love" (Stewart, Gouldman) - 3:22
- "Dreadlock Holiday" (Stewart, Gouldman) - 5:01
- "I'm Not in Love" (Stewart, Gouldman) - 6:06