Greater Media, Inc., known as Greater Media, was an American media company that specialized in radio stations. The markets where they owned radio stations included Boston, Detroit, Philadelphia, Charlotte, and the state of New Jersey. The company was formed in 1956 in Southbridge, Massachusetts, and its headquarters were located in Braintree, Massachusetts.
|Peter H. Smyth (Chairman & Chief executive officer)|
Greater Media also published several weekly newspapers in Central New Jersey. The newspaper group won 12 Suburban Newspapers of America awards for 2006.
On November 12, 2007, Greater Media announced it was buying three stations in Charlotte, North Carolina from Lincoln Financial Media--WBT, WBT-FM, and WLNK. The deal was finalized on January 31, 2008.
On July 19, 2016, Beasley Broadcast Group announced that it would acquire Greater Media's radio stations for $240 million. The FCC approved the sale on October 6, and the sale closed on October 29. The Greater Media newspapers were sold to the Newspaper Media Group.
List of radio stationsEdit
- WROR-FM 105.7 FM — Classic Hits
- WKLB-FM 102.5 FM — Country
- WBQT 96.9 FM — Rhythmic AC
- WMJX 106.7 FM — Adult Contemporary
- WBOS 92.9 FM — Modern Rock
- WMGQ 98.3 FM — Adult Contemporary, New Brunswick
- WCTC 1450 AM — Talk, New Brunswick
- WDHA-FM 105.5 FM — Rock, Dover
- WMTR 1250 AM —Oldies; Morristown
- WRAT 95.9 FM — Rock, Point Pleasant
- WJRZ-FM 100.1 FM — Adult Contemporary, Manahawkin
List of publicationsEdit
- Atlanticville (Eatontown, Long Branch, Monmouth Beach, Ocean Township, West Long Branch)
- the hub (Fair Haven, Little Silver, Oceanport, Red Bank, Rumson, Sea Bright, Shrewsbury, Tinton Falls)
- Examiner (Allentown, Millstone, Roosevelt, Upper Freehold)
- Independent (Aberdeen, Hazlet, Holmdel, Keyport, Matawan, Middletown)
- News Transcript (Colts Neck, Englishtown, Freehold, Manalapan, Marlboro)
- Tri-Town News (Howell, Jackson, Lakewood, Plumsted)
- Edison/Metuchen Sentinel (Edison, Metuchen)
- North/South Brunswick Sentinel (North Brunswick, South Brunswick)
- East Brunswick Sentinel (East Brunswick, Helmetta, Jamesburg, Milltown, Monroe, South River, Spotswood)
- Suburban (Old Bridge, Sayreville)
- "GMN takes 12 awards in national SNA contest" Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine. The Sentinel newspaper, Edison/Metuchen New Jersey, Greater Media. February 7, 2007
- "Greater Media, Inc. - Greater Media To Acquire Lincoln Financial Group'S Wbt-Am, Wbt-Fm And Wlnk-Fm In Charlotte, Nc". Archived from the original on 2008-06-29. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Beasley Purchasing Greater Media For $240 Million". July 19, 2016. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Beasley Closes on Greater Media Purchase; Makes Multiple Staff Moves
- Greater Media Will Part With Its Newspaper Group