Great Portland Street tube station
Great Portland Street is a London Underground station near Regent's Park. It is between Baker Street and Euston Square on the Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan lines. Great Portland Street station is listed as a building of National Significance and lies in Travelcard Zone 1.
|Great Portland Street|
|Location||Great Portland Street|
|Local authority||City of Westminster|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|10 January 1863||Opened|
|London transport portal|
The station was part of the world's first underground railway, the Metropolitan Railway, which opened between "Bishop's Road" (now Paddington) on the Hammersmith & City line and "Farringdon Street" (close to the present-day Farringdon station). It was opened on 10 January 1863 as "Portland Road", changed to its present name on 1 March 1917 but was renamed "Great Portland Street and Regents Park" in 1923 and then reverted to its present name in 1933. The current structure was built in 1930 on a traffic island on the Marylebone Road at its intersection with Great Portland Street and Albany Street. Its construction is a steel framed cream terracotta clad exterior, with the perimeter providing shops and originally a car showroom with office space over the station. Great Portland Street was at a major sales location for the motor industry. It was designed by the Metropolitan Railway's architect C. W. Clark and was Grade II-listed in January 1987.
The local neighbourhood plan identified the gyratory around Great Portland Street Underground Station as one where public realm improvements and traffic calming should be made.
The station is served by the Metropolitan, Hammersmith & City and Circle lines, between Euston Square in the east and Baker Street to the west. All three lines share the same pair of tracks from Baker Street Junction to Aldgate Junction making this section of track one of the most intensely used on the London Underground network.
The typical service in trains per hour (tph) is:
- 6 tph Clockwise via Kings Cross St Pancras and Liverpool Street
- 6 tph Anti-Clockwise to Hammersmith via Paddington
Hammersmith & City lineEdit
The typical service in trains per hour (tph) is:
- 6 tph Eastbound to Barking
- 6 tph Westbound to Hammersmith via Paddington
The Metropolitan Line is the only line to operate express services, though currently this is only during peak times (Eastbound 06:30–09:30 / Westbound 16:00–19:00). Fast services run non-stop between Wembley Park, Harrow-On-The-Hill and Moor Park, Semi-fast services run non-stop between Wembley Park and Harrow-On-The-Hill.
The typical off-peak service in trains per hour (tph) is:
- 12 tph Eastbound to Aldgate
- 2 tph Westbound to Amersham (all stations)
- 2 tph Westbound to Chesham (all stations)
- 8 tph Westbound to Uxbridge (all stations)
Off-peak services to/from Watford terminate at Baker Street
The typical peak time service in trains per hour (tph) is:
- 14 tph Eastbound to Aldgate
- 2 tph Westbound to Amersham (fast in the evening peak only)
- 2 tph Westbound to Chesham (fast in the evening peak only)
- 4 tph Westbound to Watford (semi-fast in the evening peak only)
- 6 tph Westbound to Uxbridge (all stations)
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures (2007–2017)" (XLSX). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. January 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Station Usage Data" (CSV). Usage Statistics for London Stations, 2018. Transport for London. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2020.
- "Station Usage Data" (XLSX). Usage Statistics for London Stations, 2019. Transport for London. 23 September 2020. Retrieved 9 November 2020.
- Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1213650)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- Forgotten Stations of Greater London by J. E. Connor and B. Halford
- London Underground Station Heritage Board, accessed 10 January 2013[full citation needed]
- "About us". Fitzrovia Neighbourhood Association. 2 April 2012. Archived from the original on 31 May 2014. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "The Marylebone Association Constitution" (PDF). 14 May 1996. Retrieved 10 May 2014.[permanent dead link]
- Fitzrovia West Neighbourhood Forum (6 May 2017). "PEDESTRIANISATION OF OXFORD STREET | FitzWest". fitzwest.org. Archived from the original on 15 June 2018. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Circle and Hammersmith & City line WTT" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 November 2016.
- "CULG – Metropolitan Line". www.davros.org. Archived from the original on 6 April 2015. Retrieved 19 March 2017.
- "Metropolitan line WTT" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Great Portland Street tube station.|
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
|Hammersmith & City line||
Hammersmith branch (1864–1990)