Great Britain at the 1948 Summer Olympics
Great Britain, represented by the British Olympic Association (BOA), competed as the host nation for the 1948 Summer Olympics in London. It was the second time that the United Kingdom had hosted the Summer Olympic Games, equalling the record of France and the United States to that point. British athletes have competed in every Summer Olympic Games. 404 competitors, 335 men and 68 women, took part in 139 events in 21 sports.
|Great Britain at the|
1948 Summer Olympics
|NOC||British Olympic Association|
|Competitors||404 (335 men and 68 women) in 21 sports|
|Flag bearer||John Emrys Lloyd|
|Summer Olympics appearances (overview)|
|Other related appearances|
|1906 Intercalated Games|
- Dickie Burnell and Bert Bushnell — Rowing, Men's Double Sculls
- Ran Laurie and Jack Wilson — Rowing, Men's Coxless Pairs
- David Bond and Stewart Morris — Sailing, Men's Swallow Class
- Tom Richards — Athletics, Men's Marathon
- Alastair McCorquodale, Jack Archer, John Gregory, and Ken Jones — Athletics, Men's 4 × 100 m Relay
- Dorothy Manley — Athletics, Women's 100 metres
- Audrey Williamson — Athletics, Women's 200 metres
- Maureen Gardner — Athletics, Women's 80m Hurdles
- Dorothy Tyler-Odam — Athletics, Women's High Jump
- John Wright — Boxing, Men's Middleweight
- Don Scott — Boxing, Men's Light Heavyweight
- Reg Harris — Cycling, Men's 1.000m Sprint (Scratch)
- Robert John Maitland, Ian Scott, Gordon Thomas, and Ernie Clements — Cycling, Men's Team Road Race
- Alan Bannister and Reg Harris — Cycling, Men's 2.000m Tandem
- George Sime, Michael Walford, William White, William Lindsay, John Peake, Frank Reynolds, Ronald Davies, William Griffiths, Robin Lindsay, Robert Adlard, Norman Borrett, and David Brodie — Field Hockey, Men's Team Competition
- Guy Richardson, Paul Massey, Alfred Mellows, John Meyrick, Jack Dearlove, Michael Lapage, Brian Lloyd, Christopher Barton, and Paul Bircher — Rowing, Men's Eights
- Julian Creus — Weightlifting, Men's Bantamweight
- Tebbs Lloyd Johnson — Athletics, Men's 50 km Walk
- Thomas Godwin — Cycling, Men's 1.000m Time Trial
- David Ricketts, Wilfred Waters, Robert Geldard, and Thomas Godwin — Cycling, Men's 4.000m Team Pursuit
- Arthur Carr, Harry Llewellyn, and Henry Nicoll — Equestrian, Jumping Team
- Catherine Gibson — Swimming, Women's 400m Freestyle
- James Halliday — Weightlifting, Men's Lightweight
- Rosamund Fletcher — Art competition, Reliefs
- Men's Hammer Throw
- Qualifying Round — 49.76m
- Final Round — 48.35m (→ 11th place)
- Women's Discus Throw
Men's Team CompetitionEdit
- Preliminary Round (Group A)
- Lost to Uruguay (17-69)
- Lost to Canada (24-44)
- Lost to Brazil (11-67)
- Lost to Italy (28-49)
- Lost to Hungary (23-60)
- Classification Matches
- 17th/23rd place: Defeated Ireland (46-21)
- 17th/20th place: Lost to China (25-54)
- 19th/20th place: Lost to Egypt (18-50) → 20th place
- Team Roster
Ten cyclists, all men, represented Great Britain in 1948.
19 fencers, 16 men and 3 women, represented Great Britain in 1948.
Three male pentathletes represented Great Britain in 1948.
- Men's single sculls - Unplaced
- Men's double sculls - Gold
- Men's coxless pair - Gold
- Men's coxed pair - Unplaced
- Men's coxless four - unplaced
- Men's coxed four - unplaced
- Men's eight - Silver
Twelve shooters represented Great Britain in 1948.
85 art competitors, 65 men and 20 women, represented Great Britain in 1948.
- Mixed Architecture, Architectural Designs
- "Great Britain at the 1948 London Summer Games". sports-reference.com. Archived from the original on 13 November 2014. Retrieved 1 February 2015.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill; et al. "Great Britain Rowing at the 1948 London Summer Games". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 17 April 2020. Retrieved 13 March 2018.