Grassroot Diplomat is a global non-profit, non-political, diplomatic consultancy established in 2013. The consultancy specialises in digital diplomacy and public diplomacy working with foreign governments and citizen diplomats to help build positive impressions of their country that serve at the level of all people, no matter what their nationality.
|Motto||Diplomacy starts with you|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Services||Citizen diplomacy, public diplomacy, digital diplomacy, diplomacy|
Grassroot Diplomat was founded by Talyn Rahman-Figueroa as a not-for-profit in 2011. Rahman-Figueroa used her high-level contacts and diplomatic training to create a practical consultancy that facilitated trust and better communication between governments and civil society.
Out of the ashes of the Arab Spring and London riots, Grassroot Diplomat was officially founded in 2013 to be the link between governments and civil society so that reciprocity is enhanced to better improve diplomatic actions and relations around the world. The organisation was launched at the Embassy of Bulgaria, London in 2013, hosted by Konstantin Dimitrov and Dr Jamie Shea.
Mission and objectiveEdit
The name Grassroot Diplomat comes from the concept of bridging the gap between governments and civil society. Pioneered by Rahman-Figueroa, Grassroot Diplomat strives to modernise how diplomats operate with various stakeholders, and help embassies improve their national image by breaking stereotypes and misconceptions. The organisational focus is to make diplomacy more visible in the public eye through enhanced public and digital diplomacy activities. Value-driven, the organisation believes that the focus for national interest should be on their people, their needs, and recognising their strengths and values. This means recognising countries as a body of real people, not just statistics and resources for the sake of strengthening trade and bilateral relations.
Primarily as a consultancy, Grassroot Diplomat enhances how embassies communicate both online and offline, including developing strategic communications for mission-driven embassies, as well as creating brands for Head of Missions so that they are better represented and recognised by members of civil society.
In 2018, Grassroot Diplomat published the Diplomatic Planner, a 12-month career development planner for international relations practitioners. It is one of the most effective self-development toolkit for the next generation of diplomats. As an extension, Grassroot Diplomat developed the 'Grassroot Diplomat Online Academy' to enable independent learning for diplomats looking to become effective leaders.
Grassroot Diplomat Initiative AwardEdit
The Grassroot Diplomat Initiative Award was established to recognise outstanding diplomats and politicians who represent the people's interest at the highest level. A total of three diplomats and three politicians are awarded in the areas of policy delivery and influence, public support on social causes, and business assistance and job creation.
In 2013, Rahman-Figueroa was the host of the inaugural Grassroot Diplomat Initiative Award. She later passed on the role to television psychologist Dr Linda Papadopoulos in 2014. Forthcoming events are held in London, Washington DC, and Brussels.
- Athavale, Shruti (June 2012). "A new type of diplomacy". Polemics. Archived from the original on 3 September 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Ayob, Shreen (13 March 2012). "Why Politicians and Youth Issues Don't Mix". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Earn your right for privilege: Lessons of Grassroot Diplomat". Lead-HER-Ship. 1 March 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Karim, Mohammed Abdul; Karim, Shahadoth (October 2013). British Bangladeshi Who's Who (PDF). British Bangla Media Group. p. 23. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 January 2017. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Sandiford-Watts, Amy (20 April 2012). "Interested in a career in foreign affairs?". Durham: Palatinate. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Talyn Rahman-Figueroa, Diplomatic Consultant". Gateway Associates. Archived from the original on 3 September 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Anthea Turner Model of Diplomacy". Evening Standard. London. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- Franco, David J. (31 January 2012). "Grassroot Diplomat: The Power of Relationships". InPEC. Archived from the original on 3 September 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Grassroot Diplomat at Envision UK, November 2012". London: Grassroot Diplomat. 12 November 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Pitts, Beth (16 January 2012). "Grassroot Diplomat: The 26-Year Old Entrepreneur with Desmond Tutu, Kofi Annan & Nick Clegg In Her Network". The Next Woman. Archived from the original on 3 September 2014. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Talyn Rahman-Figueroa – Helping Governments and NGO's Communicate". Peace Is Sexy. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Grassroot Diplomacy In The Developing World". Career Geek. 23 May 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "DipSoc Meeting with Talyn Rahman-Figueroa, Director of Grassroot Diplomat". Royal Holloway. 10 March 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- Rahman-Figueroa, Talyn (24 May 2012). "Time to nominate your unsung hero". Politics First. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "Grassroot Diplomats Recognised". Embassy Magazine. Retrieved 1 November 2014.