|Governor of Svalbard|
|Sysselmesteren på Svalbard|
|Appointer||Ministry of Justice|
|Term length||Three years, renewable once|
|Inaugural holder||Johannes Gerckens Bassøe|
|Formation||17 July 1925|
The position reports to the Norwegian Ministry of Justice, but it maintains all Norwegian interests in the area, including environmental protection, law enforcement, representation, mediation, and civil matters, such as marriage, divorce. An important part of the position is to maintain good working relations with the Russian community in Barentsburg.
To this end, the governor's organization consists of:
- a staff section with Russian interpreters and advisors on legal matters, tourism, etc.
- a section for law enforcement
- a section for environmental protection
- an administrative section, including archiving, financial management and IT support
The governor's office also has at its disposition several helicopters, snowmobiles, speedboats and other equipment needed to meet its responsibilities. The office's annual budget is determined by the Norwegian Storting, and runs at about NOK 60 million, of which the largest part is used for transportation.
List of governors of Svalbard (sysselmenn) Edit
|Johannes Gerckens Bassøe||1925||1933|
|Helge Ingstad (acting)||1933||1935|
|Wolmar Tycho Marlow||1935||1941|
|Finn Backer Midtbøe||1960||1963|
|Carl Alexander Wendt||1982||1985|
|Odd Olsen Ingerø||2001||2005|
|Sven Ole Fagernæs (acting)||2005||2005|
|Odd Olsen Ingerø||2009||2015|
- "New Governor Appointed for Svalbard". polarjournal.com. Retrieved 17 March 2022.
- "About Governor the Svalbard". sysselmesteren.no. Retrieved 17 March 2022.
- "The Governor's Tasks". sysselmesteren.no. Retrieved 17 March 2022.
- "The Governor of Svalbard Informational Booklet" (PDF). sysselmesteren.no. Retrieved 17 March 2022.
- "The Current Governor". sysselmesteren.no. Retrieved 17 March 2022.