Gotham Independent Film Awards 2020
The 30th Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards, presented by the Independent Filmmaker Project, were held on January 11, 2021. The nominations were announced on November 12, 2020. Actors Chadwick Boseman and Viola Davis, director Steve McQueen, writer Ryan Murphy, and the cast of The Trial of the Chicago 7 received tribute awards.
|30th Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards|
|Date||January 11, 2021|
|Presented by||Independent Filmmaker Project|
|Breakthrough Director||Andrew Patterson – The Vast of Night|
The awards honored the best independent filmmaking released between January 2020 and February 2021. Originally scheduled to take place on November 20, 2020, the ceremony was pushed back by two months due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Originally scheduled to take place in November of 2020, the ceremony was pushed back due to the coronavirus pandemic. The eligibility period for releases was extended to include films released between January 1 and February 28, 2021. Films that were scheduled to release theatrically, but had to be released via VOD, are also eligible for the awards. The submission deadline for films was on October 1, 2020. To be eligible for the film awards, the films must be over 70 minutes, have a budget of under $35 million and must have been written, directed, and produced by a United States citizen (except for films qualifying for the Best International Feature category).
Nominees and WinnersEdit
Best International FeatureEdit
- Chadwick Boseman (posthumously) as Levee – Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
- Jude Law as Rory O'Hara – The Nest
- John Magaro as Otis "Cookie" Figowitz – First Cow
- Jesse Plemons as Jake – I'm Thinking of Ending Things
- Jessie Buckley as Young Woman – I'm Thinking of Ending Things
- Carrie Coon as Allison O'Hara – The Nest
- Frances McDormand as Fern – Nomadland
- Yuh-jung Youn as Soon-ja – Minari
- Mike Makowsky – Bad Education
- Jon Raymond and Kelly Reichardt – First Cow
- James Montague and Craig W. Sander – The Vast of Night
- Jasmine Batchelor as Jess Harris – The Surrogate
- Sidney Flanigan as Autumn Callahan – Never Rarely Sometimes Always
- Orion Lee as King-Lu – First Cow
- Kelly O'Sullivan as Bridget – Saint Frances
Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director AwardEdit
Andrew Patterson – The Vast of Night
- Radha Blank – The Forty-Year-Old Version
- Channing Godfrey Peoples – Miss Juneteenth
- Carlo Mirabella-Davis – Swallow
- Alex Thompson – Saint Frances
Breakthrough Series – Long FormEdit
Breakthrough Series – Short FormEdit
- The Trial of the Chicago 7 – Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Sacha Baron Cohen, Caitlin FitzGerald, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Michael Keaton, Alice Kremelberg, Frank Langella, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, Ben Shenkman and Jeremy Strong
Made in NY AwardEdit
- Sharf, Zach (January 11, 2021). "Gotham Award Winners: 'Nomadland' Wins Best Feature, Riz Ahmed Takes Best Actor". IndieWire. Retrieved January 11, 2021.
- Lewis, Hilary (January 11, 2021). "Gotham Awards: 'Nomadland' Wins Best Feature, Audience Award". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 11, 2021.
- "Nominations Announced for 30th IFP Gotham Awards". Independent Filmmaker Project. November 12, 2020. Retrieved November 16, 2020.
- Sharf, Zach (November 12, 2020). "Gotham Award Nominations 2020: 'First Cow,' 'Nomadland,' and All Best Picture Noms by Women". IndieWire. Retrieved November 13, 2020.
- Hayes, Dade (November 12, 2020). "'First Cow' Leads Field In Gotham Awards Nominations". Deadline. Retrieved November 13, 2020.
- Lewis, Hilary (December 9, 2020). "Ryan Murphy, Steve McQueen Set to Receive Gotham Awards Tributes". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 9, 2020.
- "AWARD CRITERIA". Independent Filmmaker Project. Retrieved October 7, 2020.
- Lewis, Hilary (December 17, 2020). "'Trial of the Chicago 7' Cast to Receive Gotham Awards' First Ensemble Tribute". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 17, 2020.