This article possibly contains inappropriate or misinterpreted citations that do not verify the text. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gorgias Press is an independent academic publisher of books and journals covering a range of religious and language studies that include Syriac language, Eastern Christianity, Ancient Near East, Arabic and Islam, Early Christianity, Judaism, and more. Gorgias Press was founded in 2001 by George Kiraz, and is based in Piscataway, New Jersey. Authors include Sebastian Brock, Clinton Bennett, David C. Parker, Andrei Orlov, Iain Torrance, Philip Khuri Hitti, George Percy Badger, Ignatius Zakka I Iwas, Ignatius Afram I Barsoum, Ignatius Elias III, Carl Brockelmann, Aziz Suryal Atiya, and William Hatch.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Piscataway, New Jersey|
|Publication types||Books, academic journals|
|Imprints||Tigris, Euphrates, Harp of the Gazelle|
The press publishes new books, but also reprints academic books and rare out of print books, in addition to several peer-reviewed academic journals. In 2010, they published three volumes of peer-reviewed articles as part of a series on Foundations for Syriac Lexicography in association with the International Syriac Language Project.
According to the company's founder, Gorgias Press chose to avoid pdf and books online, basically reprinting critical editions of very old and out-of-copyright texts. Only after ten years of activity, the number of new books overcome the one of the references. Starting from 2017, all published books were uniquely new books. The main covered topic are: religions and mostly the Biblical Studies (both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament), the history of the Middle East, planning an expansion to the field of islamic studies.
- Gorgias handbooks"
- Gorgias Eastern Christianity studies
- Persian martyr acts in Syriac: text and translation
- Mōrān ʼEthʼō (Marian Hymns)
- Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies
- Harp of the Gazelle
- Gorgias reprint series
- Publications of the Archdiocese of the Syriac Orthodox Church
- Ṣurath Kthobh
- "About Gorgias Press". Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "Gorgias Press - Liturgy". Times News. Retrieved 2011-10-13.
- "Gorgias Press bestsellers". Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "Gorgias Press Catalog" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-10-17. Retrieved 13 October 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Gorgias Press Journals". Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "The International Syriac Language Project (ISLP)". University of Helsinki. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- NA Mansur (University of Princeton), George Kiraz (November 2, 2017). An interview with George Kiraz, the founder of Gorgias Press (podcast). NBN. Archived from the original on November 3, 2017. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help), forme minute 3:00 to 4:16.
- "Gorgias Handbooks".
- "Gorgias Eastern Christianity studies".
- "Persian martyr acts in Syriac: text and translation".
- "Mōrān ʼEthʼō'".
- "Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies".
- "Gorgias reprint series".
- "Publications of the Archdiocese of the Syriac Orthodox Church'".
- "Ṣurath Kthobh".