Gordon Taylor (footballer)
Gordon Alexander Taylor OBE (born 28 December 1944) is an English former professional footballer who played as a winger. He has been chief executive of the English footballers' trades union, the Professional Footballers' Association, since 1981. In March 2019 it was reported that he is to stand down after the completion of a "full and open review" into the PFA's finances is presented at its 2019 AGM, along with its entire management committee and chairman Ben Purkiss. He is reputed to be the highest paid union official in the world.
|Full name||Gordon Alexander Taylor|
|Date of birth||28 December 1944|
|Place of birth||Ashton-under-Lyne, England|
|1977||→ Vancouver Whitecaps (loan)||16||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Taylor was born in Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire. He played over 250 matches for Bolton Wanderers and scored more than 50 goals before being transferred to Birmingham City in 1970. He joined Blackburn Rovers in 1976 and spent the 1977 close season playing in the North American Soccer League for the Vancouver Whitecaps. He returned to play for Blackburn and finally Bury before retiring in 1980 to work full-time for the PFA.
His mobile phone messages were allegedly hacked by a private investigator employed by the News of the World newspaper. The Guardian reported that News International (the owner of the News of the World) paid Taylor £700,000 ($1.1 million) in legal costs and damages in exchange for a confidentiality agreement barring him from speaking about the case.
- "Gordon Taylor". UK A–Z Transfers. Neil Brown. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- "North American Soccer League Players: Gordon Taylor". NASL Jerseys. Dave Morrison. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Matthews, Tony (1995). Birmingham City: A Complete Record. Derby: Breedon Books. p. 128. ISBN 978-1-85983-010-9.
- Bhana, Mohammed (1 June 2007). "Gordon Taylor on Asians in Football". Ethnic Now. Archived from the original on 8 October 2007.
- "Gordon Taylor: PFA chief executive to step down after 38 years". 27 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Ils font le foot anglais" [They make English football]. France Football (in French). 28 September 2007.
Le syndicaliste le mieux payé au monde (1,6 M€ annuels !). ... Diplômé en économie, membre du comité du football de la FIFA, Taylor est un interlocuteur clé des instances dirigeantes du football anglais. [The best-paid union man in the football world (€1.6 million a year!). ... A graduate economist, member of FIFA's football committee, Taylor is a key contact for the powers-that-be of English football.
- "Gordon Taylor". Post War English & Scottish Football League A–Z Player's Database. Neil Brown. Retrieved 11 March 2008.
- "Notable alumni in sport". Manchester Metropolitan University. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Roopanarine, Les (29 December 2007). "PFA head Taylor scoops OBE". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Davies, Nick (8 July 2009). "Murdoch papers paid £1m to gag phone-hacking victims". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 24 April 2018.