The Gordon E. Sawyer Award is an Honorary Award given by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to "an individual in the motion picture industry whose technological contributions have brought credit to the industry." The award is named in honour of Gordon E. Sawyer, the former Sound Director at Samuel Goldwyn Studio and three-time Academy Award winner who claimed that a listing of past Academy Awards, arranged both chronologically and by category, represents a history of the development of motion pictures. It was first presented at the 54th Academy Awards, in April 1982. The Gordon E. Sawyer Award is voted upon and given by the Scientific and Technical Awards Committee of the Academy.
|Gordon E. Sawyer Award|
|Awarded for||"an individual in the motion picture industry whose technological contributions have brought credit to the industry"|
|Presented by||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS)|
- 1981 (54th) Joseph Walker
- 1982 (55th) John O. Aalberg
- 1983 (56th) Dr. John G. Frayne
- 1984 (57th) Linwood G. Dunn
- 1987 (60th) Fred Hynes
- 1988 (61st) Gordon Henry Cook
- 1989 (62nd) Pierre Angénieux
- 1990 (63rd) Stefan Kudelski
- 1991 (64th) Ray Harryhausen
- 1992 (65th) Erich Kästner
- 1993 (66th) Petro Vlahos
- 1995 (68th) Donald C. Rogers
- 1997 (70th) Don Iwerks
- 1999 (72nd) Dr. Roderick T. Ryan
- 2000 (73rd) Irwin Young
- 2001 (74th) Edmund DiGiulio
- 2003 (76th) Peter D. Parks
- 2004 (77th) Takuo Miyagishima
- 2005 (78th) Gary Demos
- 2006 (79th) Ray Feeney
- 2007 (80th) David Grafton
- 2008 (81st) Edwin Catmull
- 2011 (84th) Douglas Trumbull
- 2013 (86th) Peter W. Anderson
- 2014 (87th) David W. Gray
- 2017 (90th) Jonathan Erland
- ^ "Topic Galleries". chicagotribune.com. Archived from the original on 2009-01-25. Retrieved 2014-02-19.
- ^ David Heuring (2014-02-25). "Peter Anderson Accepts Gordon E. Sawyer Award from AMPAS". ASCMag.com. Archived from the original on 2017-11-14. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- ^ "SciTech Awards Fete Sound and Digital Cinema Pioneers". Hollywood Reporter. 2015-02-07. Retrieved 2015-02-09.
- ^ McNary, Dave (2018-01-04). "Academy Honors Jonathan Erland, 34 Others for Scientific, Technical Contributions". Variety. Retrieved 2018-01-05.