Goranboy is a rayon of Azerbaijan. During the Soviet era the region was best known for the oil-cure sanatorium resort of Naftalan, though administratively Naftalan technically counts as an independent city. Naftalan is now starting to operate again following several years of virtual inaction when the resorts were filled with refugees from the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. Following fighting during the 1991–1992 a small strip in the south of the rayon is controlled by Armenians of Nagorno-Karabakh. The southern half of the rayon is claimed by the self-declared Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (now the Artsakh Republic) as the district of Shahumian.
Map of Azerbaijan showing Goranboy rayon
|• Total||1,790 km2 (690 sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+994) 22|
The relief of the region in the northeast is lowland, and in the southwest it is mountainous, crossed by gorges. The terrain allows oil (including medical oil), limestone and clay to be extracted from minerals.
The subtropical dry, mild climate is common in this area. The average temperature ranges from -1 °C in winter to 26.5 °C in summer, with average rainfalls of 300–600 mm. Kura River and its flow are flowing through the region.
The region name is taken from the city of Goranboy which is the administrative center of the district. This toponym is derived from the word Gerani (the river flowing through the city) and Boyahmedli (former name of the city). Over time, the particle “Ahmedli” was removed from the city's name. 
Goranboy region was established as an administrative district with the administrative territorial division of the Republic by Decree of the Central Executive Committee of the Azerbaijan SSR dated 8 August 1930. Goranboy region was established as an administrative district with the administrative territorial division of the Republic by Decree of the Central Executive Committee of the Azerbaijan SSR dated 8 August 1930. As well as, in the same year, the Lower Ağcakand district was established at the Upper and Lower Aghcakand region, including the Gulustan area of the region due to the historical lands of the district by Decision 477 of the Executive Committee.
There are 30 pre-school children enterprises, 80 secondary schools, 1 technical, secondary and vocational schools in Goranboy region.
Teachers examination in Barda city was held in April 2017, according to the Decree of the Minister of Education of 7 October 2016, in connection with the execution of the Order No. 999 of the President of the Republic dated 16 January 2015. 2433 teachers participated in this examination.
Today, Goranboy belongs to Ganja-Kazakh economic region and main sector here is agriculture. Local folk is growing cotton, vegetables, grain, and viticulture. Furthermore, animal husbandry is also pretty common in this area. In Soviet Union times, 21 collective farms and 4 state farms were located in this region.
The institutions operating in the region as “Goran Pambig” a cotton processing company”, Goranboy-Wine” a wine-producing enterprise”, "Turk Yapı Senaye” construction company, “Gilan holding” construction company and others have a strong impact on the economy of the region and the country.
Also, the Baku-Qazakh highway, the Baku-Tbilisi railway, the Karadag-Agstafa-Tbilisi gas pipeline pass through the district.
- "Şəhərlərarası telefon kodları". Aztelekom MMC. Aztelekom İB. Retrieved 19 August 2015. (in Azerbaijani)
- "REFUGEES & INTERNALLY DISPLACED PERSONS (IDPS) IN THE SOUTH CAUCASUS" (PDF).
- "STATE PROGRAM On Inmprovement of Living Conditions of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons and Employment Promotion".
- Azärbaycan : Azärbaycan milli ensiklopediyası. Aliyev, İlham, 1961-. Bakı: "Azärbaycan Milli Ensiklopediyası" Elmi märkäzi. 2007. ISBN 9789952441017. OCLC 252289725.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Azärbaycan toponimlärinin ensiklopedik lüğäti. Äliyeva, Rübabä., Näsimi adına Dilçilik İnstitutu. Bakı: Şärq-Qärb. 2007. ISBN 9789952341553. OCLC 424351932.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "History of Goranboy district".
- "Political division, population size and structure: Population by towns and regions of the Republic of Azerbaijan".
- "Goranboy region".
- "Education of Goranboy".
- "Bərdədə müəllimlərin diaqnostik qiymətləndirilməsinə başlanılıb - Teachers examination started in Barda".
- "Religious communities of Azerbaijan".
- "Monuments of Goranboy". Azerbaijan National Library.
- "Historical monuments".